Monday, April 14, 2014

MMGM Shout Out: THE PECULIAR, by Stefan Bachmann (Plus the 4/14/14 links)

Woo Hoo--EVERBLAZE is ALMOST done! I have a few tiny changes to make, and a final polish read to do over the next couple of days, and then it is FINISHED. Not gonna lie--I never thought I'd get there. BUT I MADE IT. And I can't wait for you guys to read in November! I hope you love it as much as I do.

I'm a little loopy tonight from a crazy weekend (events on Fri, Sat, & Sun--*collapses*) but I am trying to get back on track with these MMGM shout outs. So I have a quick one for you guys today for a book I adore: THE PECULIAR, by Stefan Bachmann.

This is one of those books that I bought entirely because of the cover. I didn't know what it was about.  I hadn't heard anything about it. But I mean, LOOK AT THAT COVER! It was begging me to read it. So I did,  It was one of those books I couldn't put down. Such a cool world, such a page turning plot, and holy crow can Stefan Bachmann write. I can't believe he was a teenager when he wrote it. Way to make the rest of us look bad!

If you haven't read it yet, I highly, HIGHLY recommend it.  You can find it on Goodreads HERE

And make sure you also check out these other MMGMs happening throughout the blogosphere:

- Jennifer at 5 Minutes for Books is cheering for ALWAYS, EMILY. Click HERE to see her feature. 
- Susan Olson is on the edge of her seat for RISKED. Click HERE to see why. 
- Charlotte Ritchie is caught up in the MUSEUM OF THIEVES. Click HERE to see what she thought. 
- Rcubed is talking about common middle grade themes. Click HERE to see what they are. 
- Michael Gettel-Gilmarten has chills for DIEGO'S DRAGON. Click HERE to see why.   
- Jenni Enzor is unlocking EIGHT KEYS. Click HERE to read her review. 
- Sue Heavenrich is chasing PRISONER 88. Click HERE to see why. 
- Greg Pattridge is gushing about HOPE IS A FERRIS WHEEL. Click HERE to see his review.
- Daniel Johnston has chills for SHREDDERMAN: SECRET IDENTITY. Click HERE to see his feature 
- Suzanne Warr is spreading some love for SAVVY. Click HERE to see why.
- Joanne Fritz always has an MMGM for you. Click HERE to see what she's talking about this week.  
- The Mundie Moms are always part of the MMGM fun (YAY!). Click HERE to see their newest recommendations. And if you aren't also following their Mundie Kids site, get thee over THERE and check out all the awesome! 
- The lovely Shannon O'Donnell always has an MMGM ready for you! Click HERE to see what she's featuring this week.
- Karen Yingling also always has some awesome MMGM recommendations for you. Click HERE to which ones she picked this time!
- Jennifer Rumberger always has an awesome MMGM feature on her blog. Click HERE to see what she's talking about this week.    
- Pam Torres always has an MMGM up on her blog. Click HERE to see what she's spotlighting this week.
- Deb Marshall is a MMGM regular. Click HERE to see what she's featuring this week.

If you would like to join in the MMGM fun, all you have to do is blog about a middle grade book you love (contests, author interviews and whatnot also count--but are most definitely not required) and email me the title of the book you're featuring and a link to your blog at SWMessenger (at) hotmail (dot) com. (Make sure you put MMGM or Marvelous Middle Grade Monday in the subject line so it gets sorted accurately) You MUST email me your link by Sunday evening in order to be included in the list of links. (usually before 11pm PST is safe--but if I'm traveling it can vary. When in doubt, send early!)

If you miss the cutoff, you are welcome to add your link in the comments on this post so people can find you, but I will not have time to update the post. Same goes for typos/errors on my part. I do my best to build the links correctly, but sometimes deadline-brain gets the best of me, and I'm sorry if it does. For those wondering why I don't use a Linky-widget instead, it's a simple matter of internet safety. The only way I can ensure that all the links lead to safe, appropriate places for someone of any age is if I build them myself. It's not a perfect system, but it allows me to keep better control.

Thank you so much for being a part of this awesome meme, and spreading the middle grade love!

*Please note: these posts are not a reflection of my own opinions on the books featured. Each blogger is responsible for their own MMGM content and I do not pre-screen reviews ahead of time, nor do I control what books they choose. I simply assemble the list based on the links that are emailed to me.


  1. Congrats on the finished book. I'll look forward to reading it later this year. I also have The Peculiars on my TBR list for the same reason as yours -- the cover pulled me in.

  2. I think one of your links broke... the one that says Jenni Enzor - eight keys. Just to let you know ;)

  3. Ooh, I see what you mean about the cover! I keep hearing great things about this book and need to check it out. Thanks for the rec!
    Since the link to EIGHT KEYS is not working, here is my url:

  4. I found your blog upon recommendation by Janet Smart. You have an awesome blog. I will refer this to some of my teacher friends. They would enjoy your book reviews a lot.
    I would love to review some middle school books, too. This is a wonderful blog. I'm so glad I found it.

  5. The Peculiar is on my TBR list, just because of the cover. Glad to hear you liked it—it's in my library now, so I think I'll go check it out.

    I missed last night's deadline, but I do have an MMGM review today, and I want to let people know because it's a book that's coming out tomorrow! Here it is.

  6. Yep, that cover had me at the letter P! lol It's so great. It's been on my TBR list and I just haven't gotten my hands on a copy, but you can be sure when I do, I'm going to devour it!

  7. That was such a cool and weird cover that I now have to ditch the reading list my friend gave me and read that.
    And he doesn't make you guys look bad! He just happened to have a good story plot at a young age...
    You know, I should probably shut up now.


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3