Thursday, August 22, 2013

Bookanista Feature: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, by Kasie West

I realized it's been WAY too long since I've done a Bookanista feature, so I thought it was high time I correct that problem. And I've chosen one of my absolute favorite recent reads: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, by Kasie West.

Here's how the publisher describes it:
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop. 
So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to figure out he’s oozing rich. Despite his charming ways and that he’s one of the first people who actually gets her, she’s smart enough to know his interest won’t last. Because if there’s one thing she’s learned from her mother’s warnings, it’s that the rich have a short attention span. But Xander keeps coming around, despite her best efforts to scare him off. And much to her dismay, she's beginning to enjoy his company. 
She knows her mom can’t find out—she wouldn’t approve. She’d much rather Caymen hang out with the local rocker who hasn’t been raised by money. But just when Xander’s attention and loyalty are about to convince Caymen that being rich isn’t a character flaw, she finds out that money is a much bigger part of their relationship than she’d ever realized. And that Xander’s not the only one she should’ve been worried about.
Any of you who've been reading this blog for a while probably know that Contemp isn't necessarily my favorite genre to read. It's not that I don't *like* it. It's just that I usually have to be in the *mood* for it, largely because a lot of Contemp books can be kind of... sad. Lots of teens with issues that make me need tissues--and that's definitely not a bad thing. But I have to be in the right mindset for it.

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you that is because what I love best about THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US is that it's like that at alll. It's actually one of the funniest, sweetest love stories I've read in a long time. Basically, it's a John Hughes movie (if you don't know what those are--get thee to Netflix and watch Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles--STAT) but without all the 80s hair and weird clothes. And I LOVED it. 

 Xander is so charming, and Caymen is so hilarious, and Kasie is seriously the master of the almost-OMG-just-kiss-already!!! It's a fun, swoony read that's so good, I couldn't put it down. And when I was done, I seriously wanted to turn back to page one and read it again (stupid deadlines wouldn't let me). So I highly, HIGHLY recommend you pick up a copy. And while you're at it pick up PIVOT POINT too. Same author, though it's not a Contemp. But it's equally awesome. I'll read pretty much anything Kasie writes.

And... I think that's enough rambling. But seriously, GO GET THIS BOOK.

For more awesome book recommendations, here's what my fellow Bookanistas are talking about:


  1. The cover is amazing and the story is very interesting. Nice pick.

  2. I loved this one, too. And, yes, she does the kiss anticipation so well! I also loved that the book stayed light and adorable—just what I was looking for that day.

  3. I am reading this right now! So amazing! Love it so much!

  4. "The Distance Between Us" by Kasie West sounds very good. I will have to read it.

    August is going by really fast! Soon September will be over! Then it will be October! Can't Wait!

  5. Pretty in Pink and Sixteen Candles, yep adding to the TBR.

  6. Aw. Thanks for the love, Shannon. You're awesome. :)

  7. Great review! I don't usually read teen romances either, but your review made me want to read this one.


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3