Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Best job in the world

I know I've seemed a tad stressed in my posts lately (and my emails and tweets and phone calls and IMs and half loopy mumblings in the middle of the night...). And I AM stressed. I definitely have a lot on my plate at the moment, and a big part of me is afraid I'm not going to have time to get everything done.

But I was talking to another author over the weekend--one with an even crazier schedule than me--and she reminded me that yes, it's stressful, and it's hard, and sometimes you have to force your butt into that chair and make yourself get things done, even when you're tired and overwhelmed and desperate for a break. BUT, it's also truly amazing that we get to have this job. 

And she's absolutely right. 

I hadn't forgotten that, but I also don't know that I really think about it enough, either. 

Yes, it's stressful. Yes, it's intense. But it's also the dream. A dream I spent YEARS working toward. 

And the funny thing is, the more I remind myself of how grateful I am to be where I'm at, the more I feel like this:

I'm still tired. I'm still buried. I'm still not going to be able to be online as much as I'd like. But I'm hanging in.

In fact, I've crossed one thing of my endless To Do List. Copyedits for LET THE SKY FALL are officially done and shipped off to S&S!

One deadline down--two more to go! 



  1. Glad you got your edits done. And sometimes it helps to remember that most jobs have those stressful times with lots of deadlines. Somehow we manage to get them done.

  2. Good for you for knocking off something from your to do list! You'll keep crossing things off. Take one thing at a time!.

  3. And you're right that being a writer is the best job! Congrats on finishing your copyedits and good luck with the rest of your deadlines!

  4. Living the dream. Who would have thought it required endless hard work? Probably anyone who's ever done it.

    Go Shan!

  5. It's completely normal to get bogged down with life Shannon! The important thing is to be grateful for the opportunities that you have been given. You are grateful and you do work hard and the end result is something that we all get to enjoy :) You’re doing GREAT!

  6. Yay! Congrats on getting your edits done. It's so great to cross things off that To Do list. Your positive attitude is inspiring - it makes me want to keep working towards that dream.

  7. I'm glad you found your happy recharge! And I'm doubly glad your copy edits are done and off your mountain of to-dos. Keep swimming, #1!! :-)

  8. Yay on getting the edits done! That kitty recharged pic is too cute.
    : )


  9. Best of luck, Shannon! Hopefully as you get the deadlines done, the Crazy will go away. It's just a phase in your life, it's just a phase... (repeat after me). Happy Leap Year Day!

  10. Yea, Shannon!!!! You live that dream, girl!

  11. Hang in there, Shannon! See if you can squeeze in a little mini-celebration for getting through your copyedits -- and then get back to work! ;-)

  12. I love the pics that you find and post!

  13. The writers life, as LOLCats. Nicely done. That Confushon cat is so cute it has to be Photoshopped, right? RIGHT?


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3