Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Chapters of DOOM!

Maybe you're luckier than me, and don't have this problem. But every book I've written has at least one Chapter of DOOM!

*thunder*

*lightning*

*ominous music*

No matter how many times I rewrite it. No matter how many different ways I revise it. EVERY time I get revision notes I have to go back to that same STUPID chapter and rewrite it all over again.

It.

Is.

So.

Frustrating!!!!

It's so ridiculous that even my CPs know my Chapters of DOOM!, and as soon as I start to say, "would you mind taking a look at a chapter and telling me if I'm finally on the right track with it?" they reply back with, "it's chapter X, isn't it?

*sigh*

So, it's probably no surprise at this point that I'm battling a Chapter of DOOM! at the moment. And I am not exaggerating when I say it has been absolute and total DOOM. 

DOOM!!!!

But after several weeks of stressing/panicking/going-emo-tastic-and-shoving-my-revision-notes-under-the-bed, plus SEVERAL lengthy emails to my amazing editor filled with what if??? and but then... and HELP!!!!*--I think hope am-ready-to-promise-my-firstborn-child-to-the-forces-of-the-universe-so that maybe, MAYBE I have FINALLY figured out what the problem is and will actually GET IT RIGHT this time.

It is far, FAR too early to tell--and I'm sure I will probably still be making small tweaks to this cursed chapter right up until text lock (and then probably crossing things out and scribbling in the margins of the finished book). But I am REALLY hoping this will be the last major overhaul. 

Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please let that be the case. 

PLEASE!!!!

*twitch*

*flail*

So wish me luck, everyone. I'm going in!!!!

*NOT recommended author-editor communication style. *is very lucky her editor is so stinking awesome*

15 comments:

  1. HAHAHA! Best. Post. Ever.

    I'm sure everything will work out in the end. Just don't give up! You can do it! We believe in you! *epic heroic music in the background*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck. Maybe give it a break for a few days and inspiration will hit on what the problem is and how to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having one of those chapters myself and my goal today is to FIX it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to finding the issue among the words!! g4u

    ReplyDelete
  5. :hugs: Good luck and success with those pesky words.

    I never thought about having a Chapter of DOOM, but yeah, I guess I do. Every single time. :hugs:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take no prisoners Shannon!! Good luck and all the best!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH, You poor thing.
    Keep trying, I know you can do it. You can write the best chapter of catastrophe ever. Without all the thunder and lightening. You can pick the words right out of the air. You're great! Keep on keeping on. Yay go Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so know what you're talking about! Although generally my chapters of DOOM iterate what's wrong with the whole story, so it's a rewrite of everything I've written. *tear*
    It's very frustrating, I sympathize. Chocolate?

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol! My chapter of doom always seems to be chapter 1. I just want it perfect!! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always have at least one or two...they're the ones that can't even be revised. They have to be ripped to shreds and started all over again...and over...and over.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh gosh. I'm so glad I'm not the only one with a chapter of doom! *runs off to rewrite it. again.*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck. I'm shocked your doom is only related to ONE chapter. For me, it's usually about 50 pages that need to be axed and rewritten.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's weird to read the personality of your posts now that I know what your personality is like in real life. Which is: basically the same.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck!

    LOL, my doom chapters change with every crit I get. But chapter one usually winds up the doomiest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck with that Doom Chapter!! May you conquer it yet. I have a few scenes like that. I hack and shape and they sloooowly get better. Torturous, though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3