Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Finding Balance

Given the CHAOTIC week I just survived trying to crank through my copyedits, I've been thinking a LOT about balance lately. Most specifically: HOW will I make time for everything I need to do without letting anyone down and/or snapping-and-running-around-with-manic-hair-and-wild-eyes-and-scaring-small-children???? 

(Which *might* be a tad counterproductive being that I'm a children's writer and all.) 

Seriously, I don't know how some authors do it. I don't have kids, I don't have a day job, and I am SLAMMED. (Mind you, my schedule has some SUPER insane things going on that I'm probably not supposed to reveal yet--but STILL) It. is. DAUNTING.

And while the awesome Jen Rofe (an agent friend of mine--ABLA FTW!) has been giving me some excellent tips on making "winning" to do lists and setting priorities and stuff, (btw, Jen will actually be interviewed on my blog tomorrow--make sure you stop by!!!) I still can't help feeling like there's this MOUNTAIN of things to do and clearly not enough hours between now and the release of my book to do them all. 

But... I'm starting to realize that that's okay. 

I'm pretty sure there ARE going to be things I don't have time for, and that it's not going to necessarily be so much about juggling and trying not to drop balls as it will be about learning which ones to set down for a moment and pick back up when I can.

Like last week, for example. I HATE taking blogging breaks. (I miss you guys!) But... it had to be done. So I set that ball down and picked it back up again this week when I had the chance. And when something else gets thrown at me that I need to make time for, I'll set it down again. 

So I guess the point I'm trying to make (because really, I DO have a point) (at least I think I do) (my brain IS pretty tired after all those copyedits) is that the next year is going to be a lot of... "figuring it all out."

I've never launched a series before--and I have NO idea what I'm doing. So I'm just going to do the best I can, and hope it's enough. And THANK YOU in advance for bearing with me. My email response time may get a little slower and I may occasionally miss days of blogging (or swap in some guest posts or something...) But I will always pick things back up again as soon as I can. 

It's going to be stressful. It's going to be crazy. But I have a feeling it's also going to be pretty darn awesome. So I hope you'll stick around to watch it all unfold.

(if nothing else "the crazy" should be pretty entertaining to watch)



  1. You can only do what you can do, I always say. Or do the best you can and everything will fall into place. :) congrats again on all the exciting news!

  2. Just do what you can - that's all you can do. :)

  3. I've been thinking about this lately, and it's scaring me. Because at this point (granted: with a day job and kids) I barely have time to blog and write.

    If I ever get published, I may have to give up blogging. Or at the very least give up reading blogs.

  4. Sometimes you have to say no to certain things. Do what you can, and that's that. Fingers crossed you make it through all the deadlines/stress in a mostly sane state of mind. Good luck!

    (And can I just add: hooray! You're busy but for the best possible reasons. Don't forget to take a deep breath and celebrate the awesomeness every once in awhile) :)

  5. We're not going anywhere, #1. I wouldn't miss this ride for the world! :-)

  6. That's a great way to put it, setting balls down for a minute (oh yikes where am I going with this one!)The blog is always a good place to leave for a bit. I'm so grateful I don't have that craziness with young kids about. Take care!

  7. I guess it's all about prioritizing and not wasting time. Lots of times I'll be doing something and think, is this the best use of my time.

  8. Don't worry about us, I feel like I'm learning a TON through your experience. So thanks for letting me get a vicarious taste of what its like to release a debut book :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

  9. LOL, I came here for the crazy, but I stick around cuz I loves ya.

    Just stock up on granola bars and vitamin water for the long months ahead. ;)


  10. That is definitely the hardest thing, deciding what ball to put down so I can pick up another. Maybe someday I will have it figured out. Thanks for your posts! They inspire me!

  11. Good luck! I always feel like no matter what I do...I should be doing something else. I feel like I never have enough time. I have that just ads a whole different layer of responsibility. I want to do what I need for my career, but I also want to be a great mom and not miss out on this time with them. So so hard.

  12. I know exactly how you feel (less the part about being an real, published author). I have a full time job and two young kids, I commute 45 minutes to and from work, I write, I photograph, I try to do other creative "stuff" and the truth is...something has got to give. I'm an organizer of titan proportions and still...I have to let things go. I haven't been blogging nearly enough but if it comes to that or spending time with my kids, I spend time with my kids. Sometimes I have to say no to other committments. If you don't you become that insane, wild eyed woman.

  13. I'm having issues with the juggling myself, we all do. So we understand when you have to take a break. Just don't make it too

    We would miss you.

  14. Welcome to the crazy, my friend. Somehow, everything gets done. The things you care about, at least, get done.

  15. I say eat, drink, and be merry, and then spend the rest of your time writing.

  16. Crazy is good, it means you're achieving something.


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3