Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SCBWI LA 2011 Shenanigans!

Wow. Just wow. I forgot how crazypants-hectic-packed-with-OMG-amazingness SCBWI LA is. I am wiped you guys. WIPED. And inspired. And practically overdosing on all the awesome I got to participate in and absorb.  But mostly wiped. (Especially since WriteOnCon is less than a week away. *whimpers*)

I got to meet a bunch of you--which was SO much fun (thank you so much for taking the time to come up and say, Hi. You really know how to make a silly blonde girl feel special!) But I know a lot of you also couldn't be there, so I wanted to share my stories and photos (though sadly, I didn't take as many pics as I'd planned. Have I mentioned that SCBWI LA is chaotically-overwhelmingly-busy?)

I arrived on Thursday, and after some awesome reunions with author friends and others I'd been dying to meet (um...all of whom I forgot to take pictures with) I went to dinner with Casey McCormick, fellow WriteOnCon planner and SCBWI LA roommate extraordinaire. (and...forgot to take a picture with her. Not off to the best start, now am I? Bear with me here...)

The conference started (EARLY) the next day, and after breakfast with a friend and some amazing sessions and keynotes, I went to the author signing, where I got to meet Laurie Halse Anderson!!!!

Such a kind, engaging, inspiring woman--with gorgeous hair!

(I also got to meet Libba Bray and Norman Juster, but I failed to get pictures. *sigh*)

And here's me with Nova Ren Suma and Casey McCormick at the mixer-signing thingie. :)

Then I changed and had drinks with some of my fellow Bookanistas: Gretchen McNeil, Veronica Rossi, Stasia Ward Kehoe, Shelli Johannes Wells, Jessi Kirby, Cory Jackson (and her agent Laura Bradford), all of whom I forgot to take pictures with... (FAIL!)

But, then I went to dinner with some author friends and someone there was smart enough to take the picture for me!!!
 This is me with the awesome Alan Silberberg, Hillary Homzie, Jo Whittemore, and James Riley at Rock Sugar. (best. green curry. ever.)

And...those are the only pictures I have that weren't at the pajama party.  Fortunately--I took a bunch there because I was pretty darn proud of my custom t-shirt:

Especially the other side...
Hee. 
Makes me giggle every. single. time.

Though I can't take full credit for the design. I had some help from this guy:
(for those who can't tell--the pink bunny is Jay Asher, my awesome agent-brother and partner-in-Shenanigans)

I was fully prepared to let Jay take the fall if need be (he was the one who insisted I add Laura's picture to the mix)  but Laura actually has an awesome sense of humor and found the whole process hilarious. (and yes--if you're wondering, I did send her pictures).

Her fellow ABLA agents who were at the conference found it pretty funny too. Especially Jen Rofe:
(Who seems to be challenging Laura to a pillow fight, here. )
:)

As did several of my agent sisters--including the incredible Ellen Hopkins:
(I love how my hand is a blur in this picture. It's like I couldn't stop sipping my caffeine long enough to pose for a picture) 
(Also--I must say, dancing with Ellen is one of those: not-to-be-missed SCBWI experiences. She puts me to shame!) :)

I also got to hang out more with Alan Silberberg
(who wins the prize--imho--for best pajamas)
Not sure if you guys know who Alan is, but I have gushed and raved about his book MILO: STICKY NOTES AND BRAIN FREEZE (and will be doing it some more very soon), which won the Sid Fleischman humor award this year. SUCH an amazing read.

Then on Sunday, while everyone was off getting their drink on at Kid-Lit drink night--I was lucky enough to be invited by Jen Rofe to go with her and a group of other ABLA authors/clients to a BBQ in Topanga Canyon with Neal Shusterman and Eric Elfman:
And I have to say: Eric can cook me dinner ANY TIME HE WANTS. Seriously, some of the best food I've had. And after a chaotic four days of going going going and crowds everywhere, there was nothing better than being in a beautiful house in the quietly breathtaking canyon with home-cooked food and amazing authors. Love my literary agency even more for letting me be included in that.

And sadly, that's all I have to show you. There were SOOOOOO many more amazing authors I met and/or heard speak, but I forgot to take pictures. But it was definitely one of the best conferences I've been to.  Crowded and overbooked and more than a little exhausting (not to mention my voice is still a raspy mess from five days of talking to be heard over noisy rooms). But it is such a great experience and I definitely recommend it for any of you, as something to put on your Bucket List. :)

Okay, so that was my weekend. How was yours???? 

14 comments:

  1. Sounds so awesome. I would have loved to have met you and Casey and all the other wonderful authors you met.

    We were on vacation and had a great time. Take a breather before WriteOnCon. I have to catch up at work before then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow, JEALOUS! I'm quietly starting a little plotting to try and get there next year. I could use a little break from the Aussie winter.

    My agent was there, and kept sharing the most amazing FB updates, so we all had a little taste of what it was like. It just looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE your PJ's, Shannon. And don't feel bad about the pictures. I'm a photographer, and I always forget to take pictures of things like these. Though I think that has to do more with the pictures I love to take. Posed candids aren't my thing (even if I enjoy looking at other people's).

    Can't wait for next week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, so that blouse/top/whatever-you-girls-call-a-shirt that you're wearing in the first photo with Laurie is officially gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for PJ party pics! Does that make me shallow that I was really looking forward to them?

    Looks like a fabulous time!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like so much fun! I wish I could go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid I'd be scared silly in an atmosphere like that. It must be nice to be an extrovert!

    (Love the pic with you and the pink bunny!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. How totally fun! Love the pics--especially your agent t-shirt. What a riot! ;o) My weekend? critting for a writer buddy, and going to my sister's wedding on Saturday. Fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, there were a lot of people! Looks like craziness and fun! Thanks for sharing, though I'm officially jealz. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looks like an amazing time! Sadly, my weekend wasn't nearly as epic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. HA! LOVE the pajama party photos. Your shirt rocked, and so did Jay Asher's bunny costume. Awesomeness!

    See you at WriteOnCon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all of the pics! You look like you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pics Shannon! Thanks for sharing. Good job it's WriteOnCon this week. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shannon, you are stunningly adorable!!! But, um, I REALLY think that MY agent can beat YOUR agent any day of the week. I mean, after all, SHE'S a black belt!!! :-)

    (Right Amie Kaufman???)

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3