Friday, July 15, 2011

Too. Much. Fun!

Since I've already turned in a pretty poor performance as a blogger these last few days, I figured I'd cap off the week with something completely useless but OMG so much fun. It's something my agent-big-brother Andrew Smith introduced me to and it is by far one of the most addicting things EVER!

Are you ready for this?

Okay, copy a section of text and go to

(For demonstration purposes, I'm going to use the first line of PRIDE AND PREJUDICE):

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.

Paste the text into the box, and tell it to translate it to "Chinese (traditional)". You'll get something that looks like this on the right side of the screen:


And now, copy THAT and paste it back into the translator. Select English, and you get:

This is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man with wealth must be good wife.

Now THAT is some magic translation!

Try it with your WIP--you'll thank me later. 


Happy Friday everyone!


  1. LOL! You have no idea how excited I was to see Chinese on your blog. :)

    I tried the same thing but got different results! Here are mine:

    Chinese - 這是一個舉世公認的真理,即一個人佔有的造化必須在想要一個妻子。

    Back to English - This is a truth universally acknowledged, that a person must be in possession of good fortune like a wife.

    Isn't that strange??

  2. Too funny! Thanks for introducing it to us.

  3. This is my chinese (traditional) translation of the same text from the google thingy!

    "This is a truth universally acknowledged, that a person's good fortune must be in possession of a wife you want to"

    LOL!!!!! Hours of fun!! Thank you lovely Shannon! take care

  4. I remember that Facebook thread. Such fun!

  5. That is hilarious! Fridays should be full of fluff and fun more often!

  6. oooh yeah. I like to do this when i'm bored. It's hilarious!

  7. You just really want me to keep procrastinating from work, don't you?

  8. That's hilarious. Makes me wonder how frequently things are misinterpreted =).

  9. Haha, I am SO FLIPPIN' GLAD I'm not the only oddball that does this for fun. Yeah. I do. I use Babelfish and amuse myself greatly. Of course, I'm not proud to admit this - and the reason: I usually play the translation game when I'm supposed to be doing productive stuff such as writing. BAD ME.

    *off to play funny translation game some more*

  10. I like it. I also like listening the translation. That sucked up a lot of

  11. You know, you've now given me a *new* way to entertain myself on the internet for hours. CURSE YOU, SHANNON! *shakes fist* *looks around* *glomps you* Hee hee, too much fun...


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3