Monday, January 10, 2011

Change of plans and fun surprises!

Okay, I know it's supposed to be Marvelous Middle Grade Monday--and I'd planned to feature a really cool book this week too. But this weekend I was at ALA Mid-Winter, and it took up a LOT more time than I'd expected.

I was only supposed to be there on the Sunday, but then Friday night the lovely Kirsten Hubbard and I decided...let's be spontaneous and go tonight! (which, btw, is SO unlike me) So I scrambled to get down to San Diego to pick her up and headed to the Convention Center where we met up with our friend Nikki and we wandered the exhibits for a few hours and then got dinner and walked around the Gaslamp Quarter and hung out till like midnight and there went all my plans for writing and revising and reading and blogging that night.

Soooooooooo glad we went though because we had an AWESOME time:

Here's Kirsten with her GORGEOUS ARC (LIKE MANDARIN) and two of her lovely Random House PR peeps

And here's Kirsten at Simon and Schuster (holding an ARC that *might* look familiar to some of you)

Sadly, those are the only 2 pics either Kirsten or I took. We were both a little overwhelmed and distracted by ALL THE AMAZING ARCS. ALA is a readers PARADISE! Check out my spoils:


And believe it or not, I was fairly conservative about how many I took--partially because I was *trying* not to be greedy, but mostly because OMG-YOU-HAVE-NO-IDEA-HOW-HEAVY-IT-WAS-TO-CARRY-ALL-THOSE!!!!!!!!!

So between some personal stuff taking up all of my Saturday and then being back at ALA all day Sunday (where I got to hang out with Aly, who is SO sweet and even treated me to Starbucks!), yeah...my weekend did not include any time to write/revise/read/blog/anything. Le sad. So I'll have to push off the MMGM I'd been planning until next week. Or maybe I'll switch it to one of these snazzy new ARCs instead.

Oh, and don't worry--I am planning a blog contest of EPIC PROPORTIONS to redistribute some of those lovely ARCs to some of you guys. A few friends have claimed dibs on some, the Bookanistas get a few others and there's a couple that are just MINE. But trust me when I say there will be some awesome prizes to be won. 

In fact, part of that starts today!

You know how I'm giving away a signed copy of ACROSS THE UNIVERSE along with some swag to one lucky commenter on THIS post? And you know how I'm also giving away two AtU swag packs without books to two additional winners? Well, look what I just so happened to grab from the lovely people at Penguin/Razorbill:


Two lovely, shiny ACROSS THE UNIVERSE ARCs!!! 

Which means the winners of those swag packs will each get an ARC to go with it. They won't be signed but they will be AWESOME. So if you haven't had a chance to enter that contest, make sure you hop over THERE and leave a comment. You don't want to miss out.

And that's all I have for you today. My brain is quite mushy from the very busy weekend and I'm so sore  from carrying all those books around that I feel like I've been hit by a truck. It's amazing I slapped a post together at all. (If you happen to spot any typos please don't tell me). But I will try to get back in the swing tomorrow.

In the meantime, happy Monday everyone!

(Oh, and if you need to satisfy your middle grade fix, the lovely Ms Shannon O'Donnell can usually be counted on for a Marvelous Middle Grade Monday feature on her blog. Make sure you stop by THERE to see what she's gushing about this week!) :)

43 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm so jealous you live so close to all these wonderful events where you can snag all these ARC's. Why do I live in Michigan instead? Oh well. Thanks for being so generous in sharing them.

    Can't wait to find out if I won Across the Universe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a blast! And those conventions are a great place to pick up books. I think my husband and I cam home with close to $900 worth from Book Expo a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just all about WOW, right now. So jealous you live so close to so many wonderful conventions. Kudos for you. And the books...hee...

    Thanks for sharing and can't wait for the contests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! They need to start doing these things in WNY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks SOOOO fun! I'm jealous of all that book booty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe the arcs people walk away with at events like this and BEA. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous load of books you have there! Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like you had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, you are so lucky to live so close to all those literary happenings. And you got to hold an ARC of Possession! Not fair, not fair, not fair!

    *ahem*

    It's so generous of you to give away so much of your haul! I'll be keeping my eye out for future contests and giveaways. Happy Monday back atcha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I can say is that I'm jealous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so flippin' jealous of the stack of ARC's in that pic. It's just not even cool. Or funny. Or nice. Sigh. Glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How awesome that you could just jump in your car and go. I read all those tweets this weekend and wished I wasn't on the opposite side of the country! Loved hearing about all your adventures at ALA. Maybe next year...

    That pile of ARCs just makes me drool. Even if they weren't ARCs I'd still be drooling--look at all those lovely books! (OMG, can't believe Libba Bray's book is on the top of one of those stacks!)

    VERY Happy Reading,
    Mary
    The Book Swarm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh that pile of books makes me all shiver and happy... and totally JEALOUS!

    But I'm mostly jealous that you grabbed coffee with Aly! LUCKY!! (I designed and illustrated her blog banner!)

    Glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooh what a fab weekend you've had and what a pile of yummy ARCs too!!
    Enjoy them!! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, that looks like a dream! I'm so jealous you got to hold 'Possession':) Can't wiat for your contests!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, you lucky girl! Sounds like that was paradise. And, wow, you are too sweet to offer more ARCs.

    Since you aren't doing Middle Grade Monday today, I will be shameless and say I have an interview posted today with Terry Lynn Johnson on her debut Dogsled Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have GOT to find a way to get my butt to one of those conferences - it looks like the best time ever! That is a lovely pile of ARCs, #1, and I see some impressive titles in there. Good for you! Now you just have to find time to read them. Ha ha. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S. Thanks for the MMGM shout-out. I'm spotlighting J. Scott Savage's Farworld series.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Holy crap. You really do live a charmed life, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH MY HECK!! I am SO SO SO jealous. ALL THOSE BOOKS! The GAS LAMP QUARTER (love it there!)! A weekend of friends and ARCs. Jealous, jealous, jealous. ;) All I did was celebrate sonB's birthday and get to meet my brand new niece. OH wait, that was all pretty cool, too. ;) But still... all those ARCs...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Holy snap!! You lucky duck!! I'm so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OOO... I want me some of that. I gotta get to one of these conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  22. *drools looking at all those ARCs* Lucky you! It sounds like you had a blast. When you become a published author, don't forget to have a stop in Canada. There's never really any huge events here :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Monday indeed! Look at you with all your wonderful books! Glad you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are so lucky that you live so close to the action.lol And that you can take off at a moments notice.

    If I manage to slip away to run to the store by myself I consider it a minor miracle.lol

    ReplyDelete
  25. How fun! I'm so jealous! Look at all of those pretty books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, can't wait for your contest! You have some serious reading ahead of you, you lucky girl you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am GREEN with envy. If I could, I'd reach through the screen and pluck several...no wait!! ALL of those titles! Lucky girl! Thanks for sharing the experience with us. :)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  28. SOOOO jealous! Looks like you had lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  29. It looks like you had so much fun! And I can't believe all those ARCs--that's just incredible. I hope you're having fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow. it looks like you had a lot of fun. And I'm so jealous of the swag. I spied the copy of Wolfsbane straight away. :)

    YAY for ATU. So excited for Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  31. *moans* DYING from envy, here! Some of my most wanteds from that picture:
    Drought
    Like Mandarin
    Wither
    Demonglass
    Blood Magic
    Wolfsbane
    What happened to goodbye (to give to my contemp-lovin sis)
    Where She Went
    Falling for Hamlet
    Delirium
    If you feel like sharing, I'm right here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Holy Wow!!! Your arm muscles must be screaming at you today!! What a fabulous stash! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. hooray!!!

    and my back totally still hurts, does yours? it's a GOOD kind of pain, though. that's what I'm telling myself, anyway.

    can't wait to attend more San Diego events with you!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Duuuuuude, next time use the coat check!!!!! It will save your back.

    Looks like you guys had such a fab time! Wish I could've been there, but makes me excited for New Orleans!

    I'm still waiting on AtU :( Hope I get to read it soon. Man, look at all your loot. Goooood Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Ah those ARCs look so PRETTY. Have fun reading!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I am DROOLING at that pile of books, and I am so sad I didn't get to go! It sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome!! I can't believe I didn't fly out there. I so want to go to one of these things with you!

    And oh my heck! I want DROUGHT so bad! Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Awesome!! I can't believe I didn't fly out there. I so want to go to one of these things with you!

    And oh my heck! I want DROUGHT so bad! Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I already have AtU, so no need to enter me. BUT, I Am glad you had a fun weekend among books and fellow writers. :)

    Hugs,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  40. Okay, wait, I need more information. You can just go to these things? And take the ARCs? What's the catch? Does not compute!

    I don't think we have events like this in Australia (though somebody correct me if I'm wrong) -- but if this is the kind of thing I could go to, I'm timing my next trip around it.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your decision to go to ALA on Friday, of course, was the right one! :) Look at all those amazing books!!! How fun! I'll have to try to make that one next year for sure. And would love a copy of AtU - count me in and thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3