Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bookanista Preview: Desires of the Dead, by Kimberly Derting

If you heard a high pitched squealing sound on Tuesday around 2:30 pm Cali time, it was probably me, opening a manilla bubble mailer from HarperCollins to find this:

Oh yes--that's right. I am the proud holder of a DESIRES OF THE DEAD ARC by my adorable and fabulous agent-in-law, Kimberly Derting. And it doesn't come out until March 2011!!!!!

*pauses to SQUEE!!!!!!*

And I swear, I'm not just using this post to brag. (In fact, I fully intend to give this copy away in the near future, once I'm ready to part with it, that is.)

But right now, it's Bookanista Thursday and since I can't seem to think about anything other than how excited I am to dive headfirst into this book (why, WHY did it have to come during such a crazy-busy week????), I thought I'd use today's post to tease this book a little. Why? Because I can!!!! *evil laugh*

First: the cover. OMG, I can't even begin to describe how much I love this cover. I didn't think they could ever live up to the haunting beauty of THE BODY FINDER's cover:

But they did!

The vivid colors. The way we're deeper into the flower this time. Plus, I love seeing Kim's name at the top, like she's the most important thing (which I think she is. <3 Kim!)

But it's not just about the cover. The story inside is what really counts, and I can't tell you how excited I am to learn more about Violet and Jay. Here's the official blurb:

Violet can sense the echoes of those who've been murdered—and the matching imprint that clings to their killers. Only those closest to her know what she is capable of, but when she discovers the body of a young boy she also draws the attention of the FBI, threatening her entire way of life.

As Violet works to keep her morbid ability a secret, she unwittingly becomes the object of a dangerous obsession. Normally she'd turn to her best friend, Jay, except now that they are officially a couple, the rules of their relationship seem to have changed. And with Jay spending more and more time with his new friend Mike, Violet is left with too much time on her hands as she wonders where things went wrong. But when she fills the void by digging into Mike's tragic family history, she stumbles upon a dark truth that could put everyone in danger.

Chills guys! I have CHILLS!

And even though I haven't had a chance to really dive in, I can say this: I read the prologue.


Yeah, I can already tell I will be reading this in one sitting. And then probably reading it again the next day. Dang she knows how to draw you in! 

I promise I'll post a full review a little closer to the release. And like I said, I will be parting with this bad boy, as soon as I've satisfied my Jay and Violet fix. So keep an eye out for the contest. You won't want to miss it. 

But for now, if you need me, I'll be cranking through my To Do list as fast as Shannonly possible so I can finally dive in. *dies of impatience*

Want more awesome recommendations? Here's what my fellow Bookanistas are up to today:


  1. I am soooooo jealous! I have been tempted to pre-order this book several times because I just can't wait to get my hands on it. The covers are both amazing. Enjoy the ARC. Can't wait to hear your thoughts, although I'm willing to bet it's going to be fabulous!


  2. I haven't read The Body Finder yet, but it's on my to-read list. Both covers are beautiful. Want them on my shelf! :D

  3. First of all let me just say I am super jealous!!! I loved The Body Finder and can't wait to read Desires of The Dead! The covers are gorgeous!

  4. I loved The Body Finder. Can't wait to read this one. Lucky you that you get to read it first.

  5. Very jealous here...aaaaaaaaah. I just read Body Finder not that long ago and now I am waiting patiently for the new one..why oh why does it have to take so long for the book to come out..sniffles.

    Would so love to find one in my mailbox!!


  6. So excited to read this! But I think I'm really low on the list. My ninja skillz were seriously lacking the day we signed up for it. But I'm loving that I'll get to read it!

  7. Can't wait for this one!!! I have to reread The Body Finder to prepare :) Hope you enjoy it!

  8. Oooh these are some gorgeous covers! How lovely! And yay for you to get a copy of a pre-release!! Wow!!!

    And the premise is really fab - thanks for the intro to these books!! Enjoy your Violet and Jay fix!

    Take care

  9. Sounds like a great surprise.

    The synopsis is catchy.

  10. It's so great to get an ARC delivered!
    I am in deep envy.

  11. Totally looking forward to this one! And dang if Kimberly isn't the nicest person EV.ER!~

  12. Still need to read the Body Finder—love the premise—but I can't download any more books to my nook until November. I'm already over my self-imposed limit for the month, sadly, and will have to settle for library books.

    Hope you enjoy it!

  13. Ohhh, you lucky duck! I have this one on my calendar and am anxiously awaiting the realease date! Make sure to fill us in with your review when finished!

  14. hi miss shannon! wow its sad that your not too excited about this book. ha ha! yikes! i could hear how much you cant wait to get reading it. for me id just toss out my to do list and get into that book. ha ha.
    ...smiles and hugs from lenny

  15. I'll admit it - I'm jealous.

    Enjoy the read!

  16. Those covers are definitely eye catching. I'll have to check these out :)

  17. I cannot wait for this one! I LOVED The Body Finder. It's one of my favorites.

  18. I haven't read the first, but I've heard such great things about it. off to goodreads!

  19. Sounds amazing! And the covers... wow.

  20. OMG I'm SO FREAKING JEALOUS. I'm dying to get my hands on this book. Hurry up and get your fill so I can enter your giveaway for it ;)

  21. Wow, what a cover! Can't wait for your review... !

  22. Love these covers! It'll be a long time waiting until March!

  23. Oh, is that what that high-pitched sound was?

    Sounds fantastic--go, read, report back! Who needs a to-do list?

  24. They are very visual covers that draw you in and I was so immersed in The Body Finder. It was such a dramatic, beautifully written book that I can't wait to read this one too.

    It's on my list! Lucky you.


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3