Saturday, September 18, 2010

Something Cool I HAD to Share!

Okay, I know I don't normally post on Saturdays, but I got an email from a friend drawing my attention to a really cool new series, and I just had to share.

I'll admit, I'm not a HUGE comic fan (If it weren't for my husband I would have no idea there was a difference between DC and Marvel--and no, sadly I'm not exaggerating). BUT, as most of you know, I went to Comic Con this year (yes, yes, I went dressed as Rainbow Brite one of the days. I'm NEVER going to live that down) and well, it's kind of impossible to go there and NOT learn about comics.

So while I was there I was introduced by the fabulous Jon Lewis (of Grey Griffins Week fame) to a friend of his who was involved with a super-cool project about to come out. And then I found out his name was Shannon (Shannon Eric Denton to be precise) so of course that only made him even more awesome AND he was at Project Book Babe--this awesome writer event I went to about a year and a half ago that was kinda the reason I got my butt in gear and wrote the darn book--so yeah, I was pretty excited.

Which is why--now that the project has been announced in Publishers Weekly--I had to sneak a post in here to spread the word. Cause not only does the comic series sound super cool, but it's online. Here's the press release from PW:


Komikwerks, an online comics site and digital comics provider, is expanding its line of Actionopolis adventure novels aimed at young people with a list of 16 new series delivered through the Kindle e-book platform and available for Kindle on iPad, iPhone, PC, Mac, Blackberry, or Android device.

The new list of novels includes works written by Louise Simonson (Children Of Olympus), Christopher Long (Dragonblood), Tim Waggoner (Last of the Lycans), Justin Cline (Master of Voodoo) and John Helfers (Nightmare Expeditions). Actionopolis is a line of heavily illustrated teen adventure novellas launched in 2006 and published in series by Komikwerks. The line began with 7 novel series written by established writers and artists who work in animation and comics.

Awesome, right?

And these aren't low budget things. Check out this awesome artwork for the cover:


Not to mention, they're digital. How cool is that?

With all the debate about ebooks, I think it's really exciting to see what can really be done with them. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still LOVE paper books, and I hope they never go the way of the dinosaur. But I also think ebooks are the future, so when I see a project that embraces the technology in a cool and fun way, well, I'm all over it. Especially one designed to help foster a love of reading in reluctant readers.

So yeah, I had to share. If you want to find out more about the series, check out the Actionopolis Website. They have tons of cool stuff there. 

And...that's all I have to say. Hope everyone's having an awesome weekend! See everyone on Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Shannon, you know how I know you're awesome? 1) You went to Comic Con. 2) You married a very cool guy who values quality entertainment. 3) You're promoting a comic on your blog!

    I'm sure there are plenty of other reasons, but those are the most important in my eyes!

    Seriously, I think if anyone reads 1 good comic on iPad they'll be sold. I truly think it's going to revolutionize the comic industry. Electronic is how they were meant to viewed, imo.

    I'll have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me a good comic and yay for this lovely link!!!! I've just been and the art work is fabulous!

    Call me old fashioned though I think graphic novels and comics are like works of art best viewed like paintings. On canvas. In print. :-)

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks really awesome! My husband would really get a kick out of this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! Thanks for all the links, #1! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still love comics even if I don't collect them anymore. I've read some digital comics and graphic novels on an iPad, and they do really pop, so I'll have to check out Komikwerks and Actionopolis! Kewl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my brother would love this! Thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Shannon! I've always loved comic books, and this project looks like a lot of fun.

    And thanks for the book! It was at the PO when I went to get my mail yesterday, and I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this! Haven't read a comic book in ages and it looks like I need to do so again :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These books are amazing! And great for reluctant readers and older teens who read at a lower level. I was lucky enough to read these all in manuscript form and I LOVED them all. Thanks Shannon for promoting Shannon Denton. He definitely rocks big time. As do you! Yay for people named Shannon!

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3