Monday, August 23, 2010

Skip A Starbucks, help an orphan, and win AWESOME prizes!

It's not often I get a chance to give back to someone who's been an inspiration to me, but today is one of those days. And I'm going to need your help--you, my wonderful, supportive blog followers. Yes, that's right, this time I'm asking for a tiny favor from you guys. But don't worry, you will be greatly rewarded for your efforts!!!

Not sure if you guys have *met* the fabulous C.J. Redwine (if you haven't, you NEED to follow her blog, she. is. awesome!) but I was fortunate enough to stumble across her last year, in this crazy little place we call the blogosphere. And I can honestly say that I would not have finished a book or signed with an agent without her. She is a smart, talented, supportive friend who has given me priceless advice and the kicks in the butt I've needed to survive this scary publishing world. 

But today, she needs help.

A little over five years ago, after surviving cervical cancer and a full hysterectomy, C.J. and her husband began proceedings to adopt an orphaned baby girl from China. They filled out paperwork, saved for the expenses and waited patiently as China stalled and made them jump through hoops and broke their hearts time and time again. They have the nursery built. They have the name picked out (Johanna Faith). And still they have no baby girl.

Then a few weeks ago they got news: a court date was set. Pictures and paperwork would soon follow. Their daughter was finally going to come home. 

Only problem? Travel and adoption fees had gone up over the last five years, and even with the cushion they'd saved, they were still $8000 short. If they can't come up with the money, they'll lose their chance--and an orphaned girl in China will lose the happy, loving home made for her. They're refusing to let that happen.

Which brings us to Skip A Starbucks day. 

The basic idea? Give up one tiny indulgence today (like a $5.00 coffee) and use it to help save an orphaned baby girl and make a family's dream come true. In return, you get a chance to win some seriously AWESOME prizes. 

C.J. has a ton of amazing giveaways going on at her blog--ARCs, book sets, and all kinds of other cool stuff--and anyone who donates to her adoption fund can enter to win. 

Even better? She's asked some of her friends in the blogosphere to run contests of our own. So anyone who donates can enter a number of other awesome contests with some incredibly fabulous prizes (tons of ARCs--including ones from Bree Despain and Rachel Hawkins--gift cards, merch, it's some crazy awesome stuff)--not a bad deal if you ask me.  

Which brings me to today's giveaway.

C.J. regularly holds the most amazing online query workshop ever--and I can testify from personal experience that it is something every aspiring writer should take. It's how I met C.J., and with her help--and seven drafts (I *may* have set a record for most revisions needed)--I wrote a query that had a 50% request rate and landed me an offer of representation in only 2 weeks of querying. Yes--you read those numbers right. And I can't take the credit. I never could have done that without her workshop. It. works!

Normally it costs $50.00 to attend the workshop (and believe me--it's worth every penny) but one lucky winner will get to attend for free! (The next workshop is September 13-24) 

So think of it this way. You give as little as $5.00 and you not only get to help an incredibly worthy cause, but you get a chance to win a $50.00 prize. Win--WIN!

But wait--there's more! 

Because I want to reward as many people as possible for donating to a worthy cause, I'm also going to give away five query critiques by yours truly, to be given to five runners up. And I know I'm not as skilled as the awesomesauce C.J.--but she's taught me a lot over the last year, and I'm happy to pass that wisdom on to five lucky winners. 

So let's recap--because this has all been a little rambling and confusing, I know. 

How to Enter:

(The link is in the upper right corner, and she's suggesting a $5.00 minimum)

-While you're there, enter her grand prize drawing, and check out the links to all the other awesome contests.

-Come back here and fill out the form at the end of this post

-Mention this contest in a blog post, facebook post, or a tweet and get 2 extra entries

You have until Wednesday, August 26th to make a donation and fill out the contest entry form. I'll use randomizer.org to choose one winner for the Query Workshop and 5 runners up for the personal query critiques and post the winners on Thursday, August 27th. All winners will be notified via email along with instructions for how to collect their prizes.

If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments of this post. I reserve the right to modify this post should corrections need to be made.

Good luck everyone!


*Form removed--contest now closed**

14 comments:

  1. I helped. I'm an adoptive mom too and adopted my daughter from China 12 years ago. It is an amazing experience. Thanks for posting this.

    And I so hope I win a critique from you. Thanks for offering it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I helped too. I've just taken part in C.J's awesome query and synopsis workshops. She is a wonderful. I'm happy to contribute even a little to bringing Johanna Faith home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this! *hugs* I appreciate you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post Shannon! You are truly awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no problem skipping Starbucks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My beautiful god-daughter was adopted; I'm happy to help ;o) It's so sweet of you to pay it forward like this Shannon, well really everyone doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally did this immediately and blogged about it. Anything I can do for kids is no sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I donated! I hope CJ is able to bring her daughter home soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This so great! I donated and love being part of something so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to be able to help a child find a home with a family. It feels good to be a part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a very cool thing. I, uh, think I blogged about it too early (Friday). Dangitall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post, Shannon! I'm headed over there now. Thanks for giving me the chance to help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, #1. I visited C.J. and made a donation. You are a wonderful friend to be so generous in your efforts to support her. I think your aweswomeness knows no bounds. You amaze me daily.

    ReplyDelete
  14. it is so nice that so many of you are supporting cj this way....I was happy to donate

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3