Thursday, August 26, 2010

Bookanista Review: Matched, by Ally Condie

Okay, I'm not sure how it's possible that it's already Thursday. (Anyone else feel like time has somehow sped up on them and they can't keep up?) But the silver lining to having the time goblins steal my week is that Thursday means it's time for another Bookanista gush fest--er, review. And this time I get to rave about one of the biggest buzz books of the season: MATCHED, by Ally Condie--which happens to have one of my all time favorite covers. I mean, LOOK at it, it's gorgeous!


Here's what the publisher has to say about it:

Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.

The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.


Sounds intriguing, right? Well, it is!

And yes, dystopians are popping up like daisies and it would be easy to think that MATCHED is just more of the same old, same old. BUT IT'S NOT! It's elegant and page-turning, and I have no doubt it will fill the huge gaping hole we're all feeling now that THE HUNGER GAMES are complete. In fact, that's exactly what it did for me.

I read MATCHED yesterday. All in one day. Almost in one sitting. It's that good. But the day before I did the same thing with a little book called MOCKINGJAY--maybe you've heard of it? (yeah, I read 2 books in 2 days. My eyes are a little blurry). And when I finished MOCKINGJAY--as I sat there filled with awe, with tears streaming down my face (thanks to certain scenes), fighting the urge to give up writing because I will never be that good--there was one question that haunted me. Now what?

What was I going to read now that Katniss' story was told? Where would I turn? What world could possibly swallow me up the way Panem did? And I found the answer in The Society. In the pretty girl in the green dress, trying to burst out of her perfect little bubble.

That's not to say the books are the same. Cassia is every bit as innocent, obedient, and angelic as Katniss is rebellious, stubborn, and jaded. And while Panem is about fear and deprivation, The Society is about order and control--about sacrificing freedom to escape worry and unnecessary problems. And that's what's so refreshing about MATCHED. It fills the void left by THE HUNGER GAMES, but is still very much its own creation. A new story that wraps its hooks around you and doesn't let go.  And hopefully a new series--because there's more story to tell there.

So yeah...I guess you could say I liked it. But LOVED is probably a better word. And I can't wait till it comes out in November, so you guys have a chance to read it too. Add this one to your TBR list, people. You're missing out if you don't.

And...I think that's enough gushing for today. But if you want to hear about some other awesome reads, check out what my fellow Bookanistas are up to:



25 comments:

  1. Ooh it sounds like a sci-fi YA Stepford Wives type read. Lovely!

    Thanks for the info on this book!

    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    I am SO excited about Matched. I have really enjoyed the dystopian novels like Incarceron and Hunger Games, so this is one I've been eagerly awaiting. Thanks for giving it two thumbs up!

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many good things about this book. It's def going on my tbr list. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this one! Thanks for the great review! I'm glad the week is passing quickly for some because it has seemed like an eternity for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, so I basically already know that if a book makes it onto Bookanistas it's pretty much a must read already ... but thanks for making it clear why you loved this one Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the review! I just received a B&N giftcard and I have images of that green-dressed lady in the bubble on the cover of Matched every time I remember my card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This one has been on my wishlist since I read the first blurb about it - it sounds AWESOME :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely one of my fave books of 2010! How lucky you had it to read after Mockingjay!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been anxiously awaiting Matched for months!

    Today, I'm waiting for UPS to deliver Mockingjay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The world-building in Matched just totally blew me away. I loved this one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have yet to see one bad review about this book! I want it so bad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yup, I'm waiting not-so-patiently for this one, y'all!

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, two books in one day! I've been so dying to read this. It sounds great. After reading your review, it sounds awesome! I'm on the lookout for this one.
    Lisa ~ YA Literature Lover

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am dying to read this one! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks really cool - thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oooh, sounds great! *runs and adds to TBR list*

    Enter my blog contest to win The Hunger Games Trilogy here!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome review! I am in love with this book (ARC from BEA)! It is a must read. The cover is also one of my faves and it fits perfectly with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay - so its sitting right beside my bed right now, yep Matched arrived the other day and sadly I had 4 books in front of it...I JUST finished The DUFF by Kody Keplinger (LOVED IT!) last night and have only one more before I get to discover the Society in MATCHED (Firelight by Sophie Jordan)...your review makes me itch for it even more!

    ;o)

    Visit My Kingdom Anytime

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've been trying to win this one because I seriously can't wait to read it. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  21. +JMJ+

    Well, I have the dystopian novels The City of Ember and The Barcode Rebellion on my TBR shelf right now, and I haven't read any of the Hunger Games books yet (!!!), so I'm not too worried about filling any voids yet. But I agree that Matched sounds great and want to read it someday in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can't wait to read this one! I've been looking for something after Mockingjay, and I'm so glad this one fits the bill :)

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3