Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Why Barry Lyga Rocks!!! (aka The Best Advice I Ever Got)

Okay, so the fabulous Sara McClung, Carolina Valdez Miller, and Alexandra Shostak are hosting this awesome contest, where they're giving away Barry Lyga books (including ARCs), and they're giving extra entries to people for participating in what they've christened to be Barry Lyga Rocks Day!

Basically they're encouraging other bloggers to leave open letters to Barry on their blogs telling him how great they think he is. And since I'm a HUGE Barry fan, naturally I was excited to be a part--but it has nothing to do with winning contest prizes.

See, Barry Lyga is one of the first authors I started cyberstalking emailing for advice, and I can honestly say that I would not be where I am today without his help. Not only were his writing advice blogs a huge well of knowledge that I drew on during my revisions, but he was the one who strongly advised that I get my butt to a writer's conference. He even recommended the specific conference I attended, telling me he met his agent there. And you know what? I met my agent there too!

So, yeah. I owe him pretty much forever.

And so...without further ado:

Dear Barry,


Hey--it's me. Shannon. 


Yeah, that's right. The girl who spammed your inbox like a hundred times last year with epic-length lists of questions. (I might also be the one who @replies you a lot on Twitter. *blushes*) 


I guess I should start by thanking you for not blocking me. And, you know, not getting a restraining order. ;) 


I also want to thank you for all the incredible advice you've given me, both through your patient replies, and all your fabulous blog posts. I know for a fact that I wouldn't have made it this far without your guidance, and whenever I have a published book with an acknowledgments section, you can bet your name will be in there. 


But more than anything, I want to thank you for your amazing books. Your stories, have made me laugh, made me think, and kept me up at night--and I have loved every. single. word. I highly recommend them to anyone else reading this.


So basically, thank you for being so awesome. You totally rock, and I only hope I can someday help and inspire someone else the way you have for me.


Oh, and I'll try to stop cyberstalking you--but I make no guarantees that I'll be successful. :P


♥ Shannon

What about you guys? Any authors make a difference in your writing or career? Anyone you're currently cyberstalking? (or am I the only one who does that...)

17 comments:

  1. Ooh, meeting your agents at a conference. I've got to try and travel to a conference next year. They're all so far away, though. Living in the boonies has it's pros and cons for the writer. LOL.

    Love the letter and the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really have the courage to do that with already published authors but I pretty much stalk soon to bes like you, Elana, LiLa and so forth, so I'll get there one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been brave like you and contacted authors. But the blogging community--you, Elana Johnson, Janice Hardy, PJ Hoover, Casey McCormick, etc. I'm exciting I'll be meeting Cinda Williams Chima at the Fall SCBWI conference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so good to know a fellow Barry-stalker...err, fan of Barry's. Loved your letter, Shannon! And isn't Barry great? Supreme advice giver.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, yes. And through you, Barry's wisdom touched me long before I even met him. He really does rock, doesn't he?

    Just another reason why you're a fabulous CP: You're the one who introduced me to his work =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a few people who've inspired be, and helped me.

    Well she's not published yet but I wouldn't be where I am without Elana Johnson. She's super supportive, always there to listen and amazing all around.

    Also, Dianne Salerni. She's the exact same way and has given me some incredible advice from the beginning.

    And lately, there's on agent who's helping me find my truth and guiding me to write about my past. She knows who she is:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, I'm feeling SO out of the loop. I haven't read any of Barry's books and this is the third blog I'm following talking about the awesomeness of his books and the writer himself. Obviously, I've been slack on my writerly type stalking and this is something that I intend to correct immediately!

    Personally, I tend to stalk Ally Carter, Jackson Pearce and Rachel Caine but there's always room for more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shannon Hale changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww. This is so sweet. I love that he has helped you on your writing career. Very cool. His writing is amazing, so I'm quite glad I got to partake in this fantabulous Barry Lyga Rocks Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved your letter, and it makes me want to follow Barry Lyga, too. How did I miss such a great guy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stalker minds think alike. :)

    Happy Barry Day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I declared my love of THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE to Jandy Nelson and TWENTY BOY SUMMER to Sarah Ockler. I have yet to read any of Barry's books. But you bet I'm about to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do not know this Barry person but now I intend to!

    Also, I believe you are technically the only one I am cyberstalking at the moment.lol

    Stephen King is too busy to blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, man! We're camping and I missed this - I was supposed to participate! At least one Shannon rocks today. :-)

    We came back to town for my son's dental appt. and I had to take a minute to stop by and say hi to my fav. Shannon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. and i thought he only replied to me....

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've seen these a few times today and loved them! Great letter for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mine is Jennifer Crusie. Her books are funny and brilliant, and her workshop on Turning Points at last year's RWA changed my writing completely.
    I brought her Godiva chocolate, and told her that her writing partner Bob Mayer told me on Twitter that it was okay to stalk her. (He did, actually.)
    When she signed a book for me, she wrote "Deborah, Don't believe anything Bob says, Jenny"
    I love that woman.
    In a normal way, of course...

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3