Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Comic Con Adventures: The Fabulous Authors

Comic Con is a crazy, chaotic contradiction (hehe, how's that for an alliteration?)

On the one hand, it's the kind of place where geeky guys who seriously need to shower gather together so they can debate important topics like who makes the best Dr. Who and which Star Wars character was the coolest. It's also perfectly acceptable for people to walk around looking like this:

(and btw, that thing actually had a little motor in it to make it spin)

On the other hand, it's a book lovers paradise, where many of the big publishers set up booths and tons of famous authors come to promote their books through panels and signings. If I tried to list all the authors I met this would turn into an endless post, so I'll just touch on some of the highlights:

Rick Riordan and Michael Scott

This was the highlight of the Con for me. Rick is seriously the nicest, most down to earth guy, and Michael has the most awesome Irish accent ever (oh and he's pretty much an expert on every kind of mythology there is). Together on a panel was heaven. I could have listened to them all day. But alas, we were limited to only an hour. Good thing I got to meet them both at various signings so I could get just a little more Rick and Michael time. :)

Charlaine Harris and Richelle Mead

I'm sure you can guess what the topic of this panel was--which also included a ton of other authors like Heather Brewer--and well, let's just say vampires who sparkle were not necessarily popular in this room.

There was also an Epic Fantasy panel with Christopher Paolini--who I'm sorry to say will always be the Doogie Howser of the writing world to me, I mean LOOK at that baby face:

Also on that panel were Brandon Sanderson, Megan Whalen Turner, and Patrick Rothfuss, among others. I thought no one would be able to top how funny Brandon and Patrick were in that panel, but then I went to the Zombie fiction panel and listened to Max Brooks.

(shown here next to Seth Grahame-Smith)

OMG, he was hilarious--and pretty down to earth for a guy who's apparently had Brad Pitt sign on to play the lead role in the movie version of his book. On a side note, I also caught the tail end of another panel Max did later in the day, and one of the audience questions was how he feels about books like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Max laughed and said he would have given a completely different answer before he met Seth, who he now knows is a super cool guy. Really makes me wonder what he would have said before... :)

I could go on and on--seriously, I've only covered like a 1/3 of the authors I met--but I think that covers most of the really recognizable names. So I'll just say this: if you're into books--which I'm pretty sure most of you are--and you have a chance to get to Comic Con, I highly recommend you go. Sure, there's plenty of crazies:

But it is totally a book lovers heaven. And I promise I will be holding plenty of epic contests to share my spoils, as soon as I figure out how I want to organize them. 

Happy Wednesday Everyone!


  1. Poor Christopher Paolini. No wonder he looks so young though didn't he write Eragon when he was like 3 years old?

    Seriously though that looks like such an amazing time. I can't imagine seeing Michael Scott and Rick Riordan in the same room. Wow.

  2. Oh, I'm so jealous! So many authors - it's really cool that you went to Comic Con. I'm definitely a nerd, so if I ever go, I'd enjoy the book part AND the video game/cult classic/scifi movie part, and um... I've never grown out of my love of dress up. So yeah, comic con sounds pretty much like heaven. :)

  3. This is wonderful. Great job resting and then writing it up for us. You're so sweet to share with those of us who live in the willywacks where no conference will over travel. :(

    You got amazing photos and meeting Rick and Michael must have been so cool.

    Um...dudes in crazy costumes with motors??? Wow, she silently mouths.

  4. It sounds so awesome. I met Christopher Paolini at a book signing once. He is so nice, especially to the kids who are his fans.

  5. Looks like a great time, costumes and all! I think it's helpful to me to see/hear other writers because it dawns on me that while yes, they are talented,they don't have super powers or anything that I don't have.

  6. SO jealous! Seriously, thanks for sharing your experience with us--it brightens my day to live vicariously through your trip to Comic Con (though that scary motorized-hand dude might have given me nightmares). :)

  7. Was that Richelle Mead sitting next to Charlaine Harris?

    So awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself; and you have to admit the crazy costumes are fun to look at. :)

  8. I'm so glad you posted a pict of Christopher Paolini. He's from my hometown and I want to be sure to recognize him now that he's grown up! I'll be asking him, "Paper or plastic and would you sign my arm?" (he was 15 when he wrote Eragon)

  9. I keep glancing back at your photos and the Fred Flintstone is hilarious!

  10. Great pics! I am so jealous! It looks like you had an amazing time! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

  11. Oh wow!!! What a brilliant comic con that was!! I love Fred Flinstone - wow!!

    Thanks for sharing these fab pics as well as those of the authors! Look how young some of these blockbusting guys are!! :-)

    Take care

  12. Ah, yes, the Con.

    When Noel and Issy went, I dropped them off at the train station in Carlsbad and there were two incredibly geeky guys with capes and lightsabers also waiting for the train...

    "Girls, these are your people," I said as I pulled away.

    (But they were not cool enough to dress as Rainbow Bright, though!)


  13. Wow. It sounds fantastic, Shannon. I would LOVE to sit in a room and listen to Rick Riordan and Michael Scott - for hours and hours! Thank goodness I can live vicariously through you! :-)



  15. Oh, wow! It just sounds so cool. *wonders if I could find a way to go next year* Hmm...

  16. Hey, I'm jealous, too . . . would love to have met you at Comic Con. Lara Parker and I were there with our Dark Shadows books, and both wish we'd had a chance to meet Seth Grahame-Smith.
    See you next year! More books, more movies . . .
    Kathryn Leigh Scott

  17. I wanted to go to comic con so badly but the tickets were sold out. Sigh. Oh well. Looks like you had fun and met a lot of REALLY cool authors. This is absolutely amazing Shannon! Rick Riordan and Michael Scott - I'm swooning.

  18. Shannon,
    It was great to meet you at Comic Con! I loved your Rainbow Brite costume and it was fun chatting with you at the Hot @ Harper panel.
    Merrie Destefano

  19. Wow, so cool!! I love Brandon Sanderson -- he is very funny. :) I sure hope you don't have to be funny to be an author... Crap.

  20. *dies of jealousy*

    I can't believe that I seriously had no idea how book centered ComicCon was before this year.

    All I can say is, NY ComicCon better BRING IT.

  21. Okay, you've caught my attention. I'm going to have to read this now. Thanks for the recommendation.


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3