Thursday, July 8, 2010

Bookanista Review: Linger, by Maggie Stiefvater

As if my schedule weren't already crazy enough with work, WriteOnCon, my blog, revisions, Twitter, brainstorming, emails, reading, housework--eek, I'm getting stressed just thinking about it!--I've joined a new online group, debuting today: The Bookinistas.
Why--you might be wondering--would I take on anymore responsibility? Well, whenever the fabulous Elana Johnson asks me to do something, I jump right in. The girl blows me away with her ingenuity. But it was also the philosophy of the group, and the awesome people involved. Here is our introduction and mission statement:

Today is the first launch day of the new book review bloggers - The Bookanistas: Books are the New Black. We are a group of writers - in various stages of the publishing process – who have decided to band together and review the special books of our peers. As fellow writers, we have decided to only post positive reviews, therefore, only reviewing the books we LOVE. No negative reviews here!

Starting today, we will post reviews every Thursday that cover various topics
– upcoming ARCs, books we love, special diamonds in the rough, classics, and even cover reviews. This fashionable badge represents our group (club/gang/posse/secret society/peeps). Here is a list of the Bookanistas: Christine Fonseca, Jamie Harrington, Michelle Hodkin, Kirsten Hubbard, Shelli Johannes-Wells, Elana Johnson, Myra McEntire, Shannon Messenger, Carolina Valdez Miller, Beth Revis, Lisa and Laura Roecker, Sarah Frances and Katie (Plot This), Scott Tracey, Bethany Wiggins and Suzette Saxton

The Bookanistas think books are the best accessory. If you would like one of us to review your book or ARC, feel free to contact me and we will add it to our list.


Now, we won't all be reviewing a new book every Thursday (I know I might not be able to keep up with that kind of rigorous schedule--especially as WriteOnCon draws closer), so each week we'll end our post with links to the others who are participating, and what they're reviewing. But enough about the Bookinistas. Let's talk about what we're really here to discuss: BOOKS!

I chose a sleepy little book no one's ever heard of  one of the most highly anticipated books of the summer! LINGER by Maggie Stiefvater.

Ooo--look at the pretty cover:


It's scheduled for release July 20th, and I can already tell you, if you were a fan of SHIVER, you will not be disappointed. I don't want to risk giving away any spoilers, so I'll just say this: Maggie brings back all the things that made Shiver the uber-success that it was, and gives some fabulous new additions to keep her fans happy (and likely earn tons of new fans). And she does it all with an awesome blend of humor, and beautiful prose.

So yeah, it's going to be a huge hit, and if you're a fan of romance and werewolves (two things I never would have thought would go together a few years ago) you should definitely pick up a copy on July 20th.

I won't ramble on any longer than that, because look at all these other amazing reviews you can check out:

Bethany Wiggins and Suzette Saxton - NIGHTSHADE CITY

Oh, but before you go--quick reminder: today is the last day to enter to win It's Raining Cupcakes, signed by Lisa Schroeder. Contest details and the entry form can be found here.

28 comments:

  1. Books are the new black! Awesome.

    And, I'm so excited for Linger. I can barely contain myself--The only thing that's keeping me going are positive reviews like yours that I am reading all over the blogosphere. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, you ladies (and one dude) and your awesome ideas! You never cease to amaze me. Great work Shannon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the avatar and the title. Great stuff. Looking forward to reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so can't wait to read this! And I'm glad you're just going to be positive. Why should we as authors be negative to our fellow writers? I think we should just be silent if we don't like a book. That's what I do with my Goodreads list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so I think I might be the last person on the planet who hasn't read SHIVER....don't tell anyone, ok? I can't wait to get started on this series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so pumped about this book coming out! thanks for the review. and thanks for adding this amazing idea to your long list of responsibilites. what a great idea! Bookanista!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You ladies are great!! Thanks for doing this, it sounds fun. I wish I was still able to get my hands on some ARCs, I miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woo hoo! Go Bookanistas! And I can't wait to read this one too. I have always loved her covers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know whether to love you girls, or hate you for making my TBR list much longer :) Just kidding... definitely <3 Thanks for this recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gah! I can't get a hold of this book soon enough! *sits on hands* *waits almost patiently*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this idea! :)

    I recently finished Shiver - can't wait to read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have got to hurry up and read Shiver because this series sounds Amazing! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LiLa, you've been outed! I can't wait for this one either. I really liked SHIVER.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love this book! cant wait for next one...

    ReplyDelete
  15. *snerk* Who needs sleep? Books are better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know it's weeks like this that make me wish that time turner thing in Harry Potter was real...and I had one.

    I must have more time!!! I will read these books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Um, OK, I'm going through my blogger feed and like HALF the ones I follow are about Bookinistas. Do you see a pattern here?? :) I can't comment on all of them, but I think maybe I ought to pay attention to what you all recommend as I seem to like what you all have to say! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. OH great, b/c this is one of the books I am looking forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! I can't wait to read this. Soooo excited. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. WANT.

    Gosh, SO many amazing books coming out this summer. CAN'T. WAIT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't know how you guys do all this! Best wishes on this newest bit of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are a star shannon. A star. You do so much already and are an inspiration to the rest of us bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  23. man I cant WAIT to read Linger!! Also, the bookanistas? AWESOME IDEA =)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. The Bookinistas! Sounds FABULOUS! What a fantastic idea and a great group of authors!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I still need to read Shiver. Really, I do. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Can't wait for Linger to be released! Looks like you had a fab time at the ALA conference. Very jealous. Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really love this whole Bookanista thing... even though it means my TBR will grow exponentially! Thanks for reviewing! I need to read Shiver still, but it's moving up on the pile :)


    Check out my BEA BONANZA BOOK GIVEAWAY!

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3