Thursday, July 22, 2010

Bookanista Review: The Kneebone Boy, by Ellen Potter

Well, it's Thursday--and even though I've currently braving the wild, nerdy, and generally BO-scented halls of Comic Con--I couldn't let my fellow Bookanistas down. So I'm here with a shout out for a book coming out September 14th: The Kneebone Boy, by Ellen Potter.


Not sure how many of you have heard of this book--I know I hadn't until my friend gave me the ARC--but I was hooked the second I saw the cover. I mean, I don't think there could be 3 more curious looking children--and then an 8-toed cat? Not to mention those dangling legs up in the corner. Feiwel and Friends books generally have awesome covers (see Lisa Mantchev's books for prime examples) but I think this is one of my favorites. Definitely made me want to find out what was going on.

Here's what the Publisher has to say about the book:

Life in a small town can be pretty boring when everyone avoids you like the plague. But after their father unwittingly sends them to stay with an aunt who's away on holiday, the Hardscrabble children take off on an adventure that begins in the seedy streets of London and ends in a peculiar seaside village where legend has it a monstrous creature lives who is half boy and half animal...


In this wickedly dark, unusual, and compelling novel, Ellen Potter masterfully tells the tale of one deliciously strange family and a secret that changes everything. 


Now, I'll be honest. Thanks to Comic Con and packing and stuff I haven't had a chance to finish this book yet--and. it's. killing. me!!!! I even brought it with me to San Diego on the off chance that I had any time to squeeze a little reading in amongst all the geekiness. Here's hoping I will, because I want to know how it ends!!!

But I have read enough of the book to be able to say this: if you're a fan of Roald Dahl or Lemony Snickett you will love this book. I love eccentric characters, and when stories have narrators who talk to the reader--but only when it's well done. And Ellen Potter does it very well. The writing is witty, mysterious, and unique and makes me want to track down Potter's other books to give them a try. She's definitely made me a fan.

The Kneebone Boy hits stores September 14th and I highly recommend you consider giving it a chance.

Okay, I think I've sufficiently gushed enough--but for more awesome book reviews/recommendations, check out what my fellow Bookanistas are up to:




27 comments:

  1. Shannon, thanks for taking the time to post this despite being away at Comic Con. I hadn't heard about this book. Bookanistas is a great way to reveal lesser-known books to everyone :) Hearing about something I wouldn't be able to find on my own is awesome. I was instantly reminded of Lemony Snickett based on the description. I'll be anxious to take a look at this one! I hope you get a chance to finish. Enjoy Comic Con!

    Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shannon. I've seen this book floating around a few blogs recently. I love the cover. So intriguing.

    Enjoy yourself this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard about this book yet. Thanks for sharing. And have fun today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, that looks fun! I love the cover.

    Have fun at the rest of the Con! And if the smells get too bad, a little swipe of Vick's in each nostril does the trick. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I hadn't heard about this one. Thanks Shannon, I'll add it to my to buy list. Love the cover as well.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is maybe one of the coolest covers I've ever seen! It's SO fantastic that I have to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will DEFINITELY be checking out this book when it comes out! Sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy amazing cover. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooo, I do love that cover. I'm also intrigued by the title...looks good, thanks, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fun read, Shannon! Fab cover, too! Enjoy your time at Comic Con and see you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks fabulous! Love the cover, love the premise. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for such a nice review of my book! I'm smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  13. such a creepy cover!
    and I hope to see you at the con! we'll work it out. too bad it's raining. what is going on, socal?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you're having a blast at comic con! And I'm glad you're enjoying the book =)

    Miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love quirky books!!! Thanks, Shannon

    Will you be going to SCBWI-LA as well? I'm packing already for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the creepy cover. Thanks for taking the time to post it. I'm adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  17. DUDE! So jealous that you're at Comic Con! And man, I totally wanna read this now!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks fantastic--thanks so much for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i saw this somewhere else. I really want to read it now. sounds great and I love the cover too. very intriguing. I didn't even notice the legs in the tree! haha

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  20. sounds like a modern day adams family!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, I love the cover. Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely be reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The cover is intriguing. I hope you get a chance to finish too. Oh btw, love the line, "braving the wild, nerdy, and generally BO-scented halls of Comic Con".

    ReplyDelete
  23. The cover calls to me. I love the look in their eyes! Thanks for posting, even though your at Comic Con.

    Hope your having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love love love that cover! I've been known to read a book or two just because of the cover art, so I'll definitely be picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Shannon - I had a chance to read this already and I loved it. Ellen Potter really knocked it out of the park with this one. Thanks for plugging it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love this cover and I'm really digging the premise. :)

    Wondering who I can talk to and get a review copy. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3