Friday, June 25, 2010

Book Review: Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev

First of all--in the most bizarre/ironic twist of fate EVER--my Pirate-Duck Cupcake vlog landed me a spot on a Cupcake blog (and my favorite part is that they posted it to encourage their followers who've had cupcake fails). So Shannon Shame has officially spread across the internets! #awesome. (And if you missed it, you can see what I'm talking about here)

Okay, enough about Shannon Shame (seriously, I've had enough to last a lifetime). This is still Lisa Mantchev Week, and it wouldn't be complete without a review of her fabulous new book, Perchance to Dream. 


(Ooo...pretty!)

But before we get to that, you have to watch the awesome book trailer, which--I'll confess--I've watched at LEAST a dozen times. It gives me goosebumps, and I kinda want to buy that song.


(and yes, I just watched it again--<3!)

Now, I'll admit right up front, this is not really going to be much of a review. It's much more of a GUSH FEST, because OMG I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!! 

Let me put it this way. I got my ARC (yes FTC, I did get a free ARC--but that has absolutely zero influence on my review) when I was under the heaviest deadline of my life. I barely had time to eat or sleep. I'd even cut television out completely, and had vowed not to pick up another book until I'd met my deadline. But when Perchance To Dream showed up with that beautiful cover I had to take a tiny peek. And from the very first page I knew I would MAKE time to read it. 

I don't want to give any spoilers about the plot, so I will just say it's the kind of book you can't put down. And Lisa's use of language? Well...it basically makes me want to delete my draft and give up now because I will never be that good of a writer. She has the most unique, eloquent voice, and tells her stories like nothing else I've ever read. Which is why, when I finished PTD, I immediately wanted to read it again, because there's absolutely nothing else that will satisfy the craving her books create (well, that and I really can't get enough of Ariel. *swoons*)

Obviously I can't speak for everyone--and taste varies from person to person. But I know that I personally adore both of Lisa's books, and highly recommend them to anyone who loves love triangles, the theatre, and knock your socks off writing.  Basically, they are teh awesome--and anyone who doesn't at least give them a chance is seriously missing out.

And--to quote Forrest Gump--that's all I have to say about that. :)

As with the rest of the posts this week, leaving a comment today gets you an extra entry in my epic Lisa Mantchev contest, and if you haven't entered yet you better get on that. You only have until tomorrow night to enter. 

Happy Friday Everyone--and thanks for making Lisa Mantchev Week a huge success. You guys rock!!!

24 comments:

  1. I loved PTD too! You're right about her voice-so unique and soo good!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover!

    It's not YA, is it? Someone else posted about the book, and I looked it up, but couldn't tell if it was YA fantasy or adult fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really lovely book trailer - thanks for sharing. Good luck to Lisa and her wonderful book!

    take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't read it but you make it sound wonderful! And what's wrong with gushing?

    Thanks Shannon.

    Today's guest blogger is Tahereh AKA TH Mafi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great trailor! I haven't read Perchance to Dream yet, but it's on my list. Loved her first book. You are so right, her voice is wonderful! I have read nothing else like it.
    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the cupcake link--I'm now following that super cute blog! How fun that you're crossing over to the foodie realm.

    I can't wait to read Perchance to Dream. I love Shakespeare and theater and love reading modern twists on old ideas. Sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make me really want to read it. Please count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved that trailer. Sounds like the books are the kind that you start reading and suddenly it's 3 AM.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is absolutely hilarious that your video got posted on a cupcake blog! LOVE IT! By the way, I think your cupcake was cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome, and the cover is amazing. Excited to read it. ";-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had my eye on this one for a while. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not read it yet but it is now on my list!

    Myra C.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the art. Definitely putting this on my to-read list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds great! On my list for sure!

    Verification word is snice.

    That's when your soooo nice...you're snice.lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man. You're killing me Smalls!

    You're making me sneak away while on vacation to come here every day...I'm that darn committed to winning this darn contest!

    You must be Lisa's favorite fangirl, you gusher, you.

    Happy Friday/Weekend!
    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  16. The art is very cool, I like that there are additional pictures in the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, okay...I MUST read this book now. MUST.READ.IT!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. What a gorgeous trailer. Totally intrigued!!! And what a beautiful cover :D Thanks for sharing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm going to add it to my list. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great review! Every time I hear you talk about these books, I'm like, "DUDE. Why am I not reading this right now??" And I don't know why I'm not, but I must remedy this immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I still need to read Eyes Like Stars. I will get on that, stat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy to hear of your cupcake success! :)

    What a gorgeous looking book and a great trailer!

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  23. There's a One Lovely Blog award for you over on my blog!

    bru

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an awesome video--we'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3