Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Just Keep Swimming...

It's no secret that I've been a little stressed these last few weeks (I've pretty much done nothing but whine since I got my editorial email. *blushes*) And I'll admit, there have been a few times when I've wanted to drop my laptop in a bath with me in it and solve all my problems at once give up.

Most of the stress was my fault. My querying went really quick (2 weeks--not that I'm complaining) which meant I never really got a break from the time when the last revision ended and this one began. So I've wasted huge chunks of time staring at my draft thinking, *whines* 'I don't WANNA read this again!' I mean, you know, I LOVE my MS--but I've also read it a millionty-bazillion times and I'm a little sick of it I'd like to read something new.

I also wasn't used to getting notes on an entire MS at once (my CPs and I always work chapter to chapter) so it felt like I was SLAMMED with comments, when really, once I broke it down chapter by chapter, it wasn't so bad. It actually wasn't bad at all. But that didn't mean I didn't waste a couple weeks staring at the whole list thinking, I hate my life 'how am I going to do this?'

So yeah...it's been a rough few weeks. And it's not over yet. But I'm pulling through.

Part of it was going dark. It's amazing how much more time I have without Twitter and G-Chat and answering a zillion emails. Who knew how much time that sucked? And my wonderful husband has been amazing, and really stepped up with the chores to free up as much time for me as he could.

But those aren't the only things that have helped me through.

For one thing, I've been surrounded by so much love and support from my friends in the online community, many of whom took the time to send me encouraging emails that required no response, cards in the mail, a single tweet telling me they missed me. Several even did blog posts cheering me on (I won't provide links because it's embarrassing to link you guys to posts about me). But I wanted you all to know that I have snuck out of hiding long enough to soak those up and get the boost I need to keep going (and yes, most of them also made me a bit teary eyed. But...but...how can I not when someone reads my pages and then posts about loving them?)

And as if all that weren't enough, today my doorbell rang (which was unfortunate because I was wearing my husband's Spider-Man T-Shirt and super baggy shorts and no make-up--I looked HOT when I answered the door!) and IT WAS SOMEONE DELIVERING PRETTY PRETTY FLOWERS

And no, they weren't from my husband. My two awesome/amazing/inspiring/fabulous/I-don't-have-words-strong-enough-to-describe-how-wonderful-they-are CPs (The Sara(h)s) sent me flowers to cheer me up (and boy did they with their card message. I love gifts from writers--they write the best messages ever. I was laughing AND crying!) I know I already thanked them yesterday, but Sara(h)s--if you're reading this? Thank you so much! Seriously...<3!

So yeah, it's been tough and it's not over yet, but I'm going strong. I've stopped freaking out enough to add blogging and blog hopping back into my schedule, and I'll slowly start adding in some of the other things I've cut off as needed. Thank you all for your patience and support--you really have helped me keep going!

Which is why I'd love to ask you: How do YOU keep going? 
What keeps you slaving away at your work when you're ready to give up?

24 comments:

  1. SNIFF - That was moving....

    Three cheers for the AMAZING SARA/HS!

    GLAD you are back on planet earth Shannon!

    Basically, my hubby and 2 sons keep me going...they share their chocolate with me and give me ideas for stories...and hubby always brings me coffee in bed in the morning....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful to feel such emotion when I read this post. You are a real person, Shannon, and in sharing your struggles it helps us all. Thanks for your candor.

    For me to keep going, I think of my kids and husband, and all the work I've already accomplished since I started writing such a short time ago. Wouldn't want to waste that.

    Of course there's coffee, chocolate, and my favorite--Hotheads. But sometimes I step back, take a walk. I think I'll do that today. Feeling kind of where you've been.

    Sher~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

    I'm not sure what actually gets me through, but I did just write a post about the 12 steps of editing insanity (because I've just started editing my new story) so I guess it helps for me to let the crazy out. I'm not sure my followers feel the same...

    Good luck with the rest of the revisions! Remember: You're a writer so you're allowed to be unhinged.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Shannon. I'm glad you are keeping positive.
    My family and friends keep me going. I also just love to write so I can't stop, I want to keep going.
    Also, the encouragement from my CPs and bloggers is really nice.
    Beautiful flowers.
    Good luck, you will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Determination is sometimes all you have. Sounds like you've got a lot of work in front of you but then again I'm sure there are many who would be quite happy to have so much concrete direction from their agent (me included).

    It certainly is nice to hear how much support you're getting. It must be much easier than doing it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are SO pretty. :)

    Yay for the Sara(h)s.

    I alternate between swimming and floating. If I don't I'll drown.

    Luckily, we all supportive writer friends to throw us a life-preserver if we get too tired.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just decide to keep going. You remind yourself that your book is a priority. You recall that you will never regretted time spent on productive work, but may always feel guilty about squandering your time.

    This says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whew--Those revision letters can be tough . . . especially when you're sick of your manuscript!!

    Good luck slogging through!

    sf

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes it can be hard to push through - for me, my writerly friends and an amazing family make the set-backs or stalls a little better!

    Good luck with revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful flowers - how sweet of the Sara(h)s to do that for you ;o)

    Hmm what keeps me going. I guess, I figure, if this is what I really want to do, I have to ;o) Might as well enjoy it!

    Glad you are getting back to the way things were ;o) Good luck! We're thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! It's so awesome to see you back and popping up all over the interwebs again. Okay, not all over. Mostly, here. And you know, the other day I SAW YOU ON TWITTER. It was awesome! Hehe.

    And now *I'm* blushing. We <3 you!

    -not The Cool Sara(h)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww! That's so sweet. What great CPs you have. I admit, I whine a bit, too. But someone always gives me that boost just when I need it. What would we do without friends (in-person and blog) and family?

    ReplyDelete
  13. First let me start by saying, "I love Dory from Finding Nemo!!" and now I happily have her little tune stuck in my head. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming swimming swimming..."

    *ahem*

    Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're doing better, Shannon! You're an inspiration to all of us and we don't mind one bit being your sounding board. We have faith in your amazing abilities to pull through this and produce something that will sell equally as fast as your query process, to which we will anxiously gobble up.

    "What do we do, we swim. Swim. Swim." :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have Dory's song stuck in my head now.

    Those flowers are gorgeous. I'm not one of the people you were referring to, but you know we appreciate you too, right? Your posts are awesome, Shannon, and I'm sure your book will be too.

    Hope keeps me going. The more work I put into my work, the better it gets. Blogging friends are pretty great too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hehe, I love that you're back on the Internets!! =) And I'm glad the card made you laugh...

    My CPs really keep me going. Whether from giving awesome feedback or pushing me to continue when I want to do the SAME thing as you with my laptop... You guys are just awesome. And these days I've been keeping on also because I'm SO SICK of my draft. I want to be DONE with it. Sigh.

    heart you! You're revisions are almost done, I know because I've read some of them =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aw, wow, this is a sweet post. I'm glad you're feeling cheered up!

    I read a lot or buy a new book whenever I'm feeling down about the writing process. I tell myself that the author of the book I'm reading had the same struggles, self-doubt, and discouraging days as I do. Books make me happy and inspire me to keep writing!

    Wishing you a sunshiney day, Shannon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oops, I meant to add:

    ~from the evil Sara(h)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love you and hate you right now. First, two freaking weeks??? I don't think we can be friends anymore. (JK)

    Second, you always make me smile, so I guess I'll forgive the aforementioned atrocity.

    Glad you've got your Sara(h)'s!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are gorgeous flowers! I'm thrilled to hear that you are pulling out of the hard-hat zone of stress. I survive (although a different type of stress entirely, since I have no agent) the same way you do. Amazing CP's, the world's greatest blogging community, and a supportive hubby. Ain't life grand?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, what a great post.
    What keeps me going? My love of writing (boring answer), and my fab CP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband.
    My dog.
    My friends here on the web. (Shannon you know how I treasure your opinion!)

    The flowers are gorgeous. Hang in there and we are all glad to see you sneaking out occasionally...

    Your MG characters will love the rebel in you ;o)

    Wonderful post!

    Visit My Kingdom Anytime

    ReplyDelete
  22. Doesn't it at least feel good to have something to stress about? Awesome CPs, and it's nice of them to consolidate their names like that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your Sarahs are awesome! Lucky you! I'm glad you're managing to more forward - it's tough some days! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. you have had a lot on your plate lately. Sounds like you're getting a grip on it, though. You'll get it all done an eventually you'll get to the point where you'll never have to read your own book again unless you WANT to.

    What keeps me going? First, I admit I get overwhelmed. Then I just start breaking things down into smaller chunks and before you know it I can see the progress I've made and that inspires me to keep going.

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3