Friday, March 19, 2010

Becca Fitzpatrick at Mysterious Galaxy Books

*Hint--for those of you hoping to win Hush Hush, there's a chance for an extra contest entry*

Okay, so, a few weeks ago, I posted this picture when I talked about meeting the fabulous Lisa McMann
And now it's time to talk about the lovely lady sitting next to her--the amazing Becca Fitzpatrick.

Author of this book:

Like Lisa, Becca started her presentation with her cover story. She was actually the one who picked the model (she said she only had about ten minutes to scan through the headshots, so she was really worried at first because it had been such a rushed decision). She was also the one who picked the shot they ended up using. BUT--the shot was actually supposed to look like this:

Apparently some people felt that it looked better flipped the way we're all used to seeing it, and at first Becca was really unsure of the change, because to her it looked like he was falling UP, not down. But it did grow on her, and she decided that if anyone asked she'd just say he was struck by lightning. :)

Another interesting tidbit--the poor model had to spend two hours in make-up and SIX HOURS on a trampoline doing backflips, and apparently told her it was one of the toughest workouts he'd ever done--which says a lot, cause, well, the guy looks pretty stinking buff. *scrolls up to ogle Patch* *sighs*

Becca's also a girl after my own heart--she does A LOT of revision. I think we've all heard her talk about how many years she put into Hush Hush--so I won't repeat it--but I did find it very interesting to hear that she still revises heavily. She told us that there wasn't a single scene in the first draft of Crescendo that hasn't been re-written. So...I guess there's hope for us heavy revisers out there--though I'm not sure any of them are as bad as me, *coughs*

One last tidbit--that you may have already heard, but that's too cute not to share--is that she started writing because her husband paid for her to take a writing class as her 24th birthday present. And apparently he'd been torn between the writing class and a Japanese cooking class. So if you've ever read the dedication and wondered why it says: "And to Justin. Thanks for not choosing the Japanese cooking class--love you" now you know. Which I think is absolutely adorable.

Okay, that pretty much covers her whole presentation, but I do want to add that she was definitely one of the nicest, sweetest, friendliest writers I've met, so if you have a chance to meet her--go do it, you WON'T be disappointed. And if you're hoping to win Hush Hush and would like an extra entry, leave me a comment on this post (make sure you include the name you entered the contest under) and I'll be sure to add it to the entries.

Happy Friday Everyone!


  1. She is such an inspiration to me. I loved that book and Patch *sigh*. She made up some great characters. I can't wait for Crescendo!

  2. Oh I didn't know any of that about her so thanks for the post! SO CUTE about the writing class!!!! Oh, and yes, please, to the extra entry! I'm under One Pushy Fox, just like here. :)

  3. That is sweet! And you would think most men would choose the cooking. Lol!

    I think I entered, if not I will right now as LJBoldyrev :D

    Glad you're feeling better, Shannon!

  4. Love that dedication story! Awesome.

    The cover really is amazing too :)

  5. ooooh! Loved the info! I hope you are having a Fabulous Friday! ;o)

  6. One of the best covers of last year. :) I've always thought of the cover as Patch being thrown out of Heaven and not really "falling" but rather pushed and not yet falling. Make sense? :)

  7. Awesome! I love learning all this new info about the book. You are too awesome for words, Shannon.

    btw, my blog post for your contest is up today. :-)

  8. what a cute, cute post. you are adorable. tehe.

    best of luck with your writing -- hope you enter the query wars soon!! ;D

  9. Whoa, I hadn't heard about the cover being flipped. Either way, probably one of the best covers ever.

    Becca sounds amazing!

  10. Great to know more about her, and that cover is gorgeous! :)

  11. I love this cover! I think it's so cool that the author got so much input - I feel like that's so opposite from everything else I've read about the way covers work.

  12. I love the story about her husband giving her a writing class for her birthday present. How cool is that?

    And the information on the cover was interesting, too. Thanks, Shannon!

  13. This book has got to be one of my favorite covers ever. Just gorgeous. Love hearing all the backstory!!!

  14. Thanks for the interesting tidbits - I do love that cover. 6 hours on a trampoline? I can't even imagine!

  15. Wow - that's some way interesting stuff girl! Thanks for sharing. *also scrolls up to stare at the cover* Man, I love that cover, I'm glad they stuck with the current one ;o)

    I would love to go to a signing with her. I think the closest any author comes in Detroit, and in that case, I mine as well got to Chicago!

    That story about the Japanese cooking class is just adorable!

    I am a heavy reviser as well, glad there's hope for us ;o)

  16. I love when I meet authors and they are just so nice and awesome. :-)


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3