As I close out what will probably be my last round of revision on my current MS (well, until I find an agent, and then an editor and go through it a billion more times--UGH!) I've realized something rather terrifying:
It's time to start a new book.
Well. It's not totally new, because I'm *hoping* my book will be a series, so I'll be starting Book Two. But...still:
OMG, I can't believe I'm going back to the rough draft/new words/spewing out crap stage. It's been over a year since I've been there!
And honestly...I didn't do it very well.
So I thought I'd use the blogging world to call myself out and *hope* that it keeps me in line this time.
Thus, I make the following resolutions:
1) I WILL write an outline. Not a, So-Detailed-It-Sucks-The-Life-Out-Of-The-Story kind of outline, but I will definitely organize and arrange all my key scenes before I start.
2) I WILL NOT revise until I've completed the ENTIRE rough draft. (Oh man was I guilty of that with my current MS. I think I was on Master Draft 10 before I'd even written through to the end)
3) I WILL bring CPs in right away. With my current MS I was afraid to show it to anyone until I thought I was *close.* And then they still found a billion things that were wrong and I had to do a ton of revision and lost a lot of time, so I will NOT make that mistake again.
4) I WILL NOT freak out about word count as I write. I KILLED myself over word count, and in the end I've had to realize: my books are going to be long. Not only do I write longer stories, but my plot is complicated. So "short" is NOT going to happen.
5) I WILL impose deadlines to hold me to a writing schedule. I accomplished more between November 1st and January 29th than I did ALL YEAR! Having a deadline makes a BIG difference.
Okay, I *think* that covers my past sins and sets me on the right track for book two--but you tell me: Have I missed anything essential? Let me know if I have. I REALLY want to do it right this time. ;)
(Oh, and sorry there's no USC Lesson this week. I'm still recovering from my crazy Sunday/Monday and didn't have the time to write it. But I'll have one for you next week, I promise.)