Monday, December 21, 2009

Vegas: Shannon Style

Why, WHY did I agree to post pictures of my Vegas trip? What was I thinking? I am SO not photogenic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No really, I'm like Chandler in that episode of Friends when he and Monica take their engagement photos. (Photographer: "I'm sorry Sir, is the seat uncomfortable?" Chandler: "No, I am!") I HATE having my picture taken. Actually, hate isn't a strong enough word. I think the only person who hates being photographed more is my husband, so we were quite the pair. And for those who don't believe me, here's proof:

Could our smiles BE any more forced?
(By the way, we're outside the Wynn here, which is quickly becoming one of my favorite spots on the Strip. It's absolutely gorgeous in there--but I'll get to that in a minute)

Photo-Phobia aside, I had an awesome trip. Great food. Amazing show (we saw La Reve at the Wynn). I even let myself relax a bit.
It was hard not to-look at our room!
(We upgraded to a Junior Suite this time--not as nice as a high roller suite, but it was cheaper and still gave me a separate area to write in)

A couple things you might notice in the photo:

1) Yes, Ella came with us. She goes EVERYWHERE with me. I really can't sleep without her. For realz. (And no, she didn't go on a Daring Journey this time)
2) I did some serious shopping (and yes, I would have lined my purchases up on the sofa even if I weren't taking a photo--sometimes I swear I have OCD)

Where did I do that shopping?
Mostly here:

But also here:
(But we'll talk about the new Louis tomorrow. He deserves his own post.)

Okay, I don't want this post to run too long, so here's some random photos of me at various spots along the strip:


Outside Caesars

At the Grand Canal outside The Venetian

At the Lake of Dreams at the Wynn, having my first alcoholic drink in like 10 months (when I started using every spare second I had to write/edit I stopped drinking because alcohol makes me sleepy)

Inside the Wynn, in a room that always feels like a Fairy Land to me.

Here's a better shot of the lighting in there:
 (it's also better because I'm not in it!)

And I have to say, the best part for me was that I found some awesome inspiration for my book. Everything in Vegas is so over-the-top, which is perfect for the fantasy world I'm creating. I'm totally stealing some of these decorating ideas and reworking them to fit my locations:

Part of this works perfect as a staircase in one of the towers at my school

These light fixtures were so amazing I have to work them in somewhere. Not sure where yet, but SOMEWHERE!

And this one I actually stole last year when I was there (for the few of you who've read my draft, this is the inspiration behind the gadget I call "The Leapmaster") but this time I was smart enough to take a picture.

Even better, our last day there I had a major epiphany with my plot. There's been one ugly kink in my lovely little plot chain and I've been battling it for months with no solution. But after three days of relaxing in Vegas I FINALLY figured it out--and it wasn't even a complicated solution. A couple of tweaks in the dialogue of some earlier scenes, and a few bigger changes in the climax and the plot is perfect--no kinks or plot holes in sight (at least, I hope).  Not sure what made me put the pieces together--could be the change of scenery, the fact that I actually slept a little (or maybe it was that spot of but I feel like this huge shadow of doubt has been wiped off my draft. I still have to finish editing and polishing, but I really think I have all the pieces in place now, which is a MIRACLE!

I think there might be a lesson in there. Maybe I've been underestimating the value of taking a break, having some fun, giving myself some Shannon Time. I think my brain works better that way. Who knew?

Okay, thanks for suffering through the horrible Shannon pictures (I hope they somewhat lived up to your expectations) and tune in tomorrow for the epic Louis Vuitton reveal (I'm sure my male followers are in breathless anticipation)

And I'll leave you with one of my favorite parts of our trip: The Lake of Dreams.

Every half hour at the Wynn, the Lake of Dreams does a light and music show. Here's the three we stayed for (whilst having drinks and tweeting like crazy--we were there for an hour and a half after all)

This one was all about snow and winter

Here the flowers bloomed and danced to classical music

And my personal favorite: the giant frog hopped up and sang Low Rider


  1. Teehee, forced smiles or not, you two are cute! I haven't been to Vegas but this makes me totally want to go. Oh, and I LOVE that Friends episode. But who doesn't, right?

    Glad you had fun! I'm excited for the LV reveal. And omigosh, it's nearly 4 am. *scurries to bed*

  2. Oh you guys look very sweet together. Lovely pics :)

  3. Aw, I don't think the smiles look forced! I'm glad you are having fun! And listen, there's something to be said about taking a break to work out a plot kink. I've taken many walks around my neighborhood for that very reason!

  4. Awesome pictures, it looks like you had an amazing time! The pictures of you look great too, you are very photogenic even if you don't think so!

  5. Those pictures don't look so bad! What a great place to get some inspiration. I've never been to Vegas (it's a little more than 4 hours away for me), but it looks like you had a great time!

  6. Cute pics! Looks like you had a lot of fun and yay for sudden inspiration and fixing parts of the book--sometimes a break is really all that's needed!

  7. Great pics - you and your husband are adorable. So happy you had a nice time!

    Cracked me up about the drinking - I am the exact same way!

  8. These are great pictures!

    Could you BE any cuter with the hubby? ;o)

    At least you stayed in the picture rather than having another girl stand in a-la-Chandler/Joey!

    Cannot wait for the Louis post!

  9. Great pics! And you are especially adorable next to the fountain. Not photogenic, my deep blue eyes! ;)

    Glad you had fun.

  10. Great photos - and you ARE photogenic. But I know the feeling. I figure if the camera stays in my hands, I don't have to be in the pictures :)

  11. Underestimate the value of taking a break? Perhaps you underestimate the value of a good drink every now and then. I mean, it worked for Hemingway, Faulkner, and Churchill, so why not us too?

    Welcome back from Vegas, good lady. Glad you had fun. :)

  12. I think you are SO cute. I especially love the one with you in front of Caesar's. Do not fear the camera! And happy shopping day.

  13. Looks like you had fun, pictures notwithstanding =) (They're not that bad. Really.)

    I can't wait for the reveal tomorrow!

  14. I think you look totally fab in the pix, and I'm sold. Vegas baby!!!!

    Can't wait to meet Louis.


  15. Oh wow, great pics! I want to go to Vegas. Looks like so much fun.

  16. Sarah: LOL, what are you doing at my blog at 4am during finals. Have the Twizzlers gone to your brain? But thanks for the comment and I hope your finals go well!

    Tabitha: Aw, thanks. I think you're lying, but I'll take it anyway. :)

    Anne: Thank you. And walking is a great way to clear the head. I need to do that more (for exercise and literary reasons) :)

    Steph: Heh. I don't believe you, but I LOVE you for saying it. :)

    Heather: I did, and OMG, if you ever have an opportunity you need to go, it's SO much fun.

    Frankie:Who knew, right? Does this mean I have an excuse to slack off more? *Il Primo Growls* Apparently not.

    Lisa: Aw, you are WAY too kind. But thanks. And LOL about the drinking thing. Glad to know I'm not alone. :)

    Southern Princess: LOL. I thought about it. There were tons of gorgeous girls there and I thought hm...I could just take a photo of them and claim it's me. (You THINK I'm joking). In the end I decided to use myself and make you all suffer looking at me. Muwhahahaha.

    Tere: LOL. Oh how I wish you were telling the truth. But thanks. I like that picture because I'm kind of hidden in shadow.

    Jemi: Yes! I am always the photographer so I never have to be in the pictures. I've turned dodging photos into an art. But thanks for the compliment.

    Simon: Ah Simon, how did I know you were going to focus on the alcohol part? Could it be those #amwritingparty sessions that tipped me off? :) And thanks, it's good to be home.

    Heather Z. Aw thanks. Me and the camera will never like each other (I don't even want to talk about the whole wedding photo process) but thanks for the support anyway. :)

    Stephanie:Not THAT bad--finally, someone who's honest. You get a gold star for that *stamps it on your forehead* And thanks!

    Hardygirl:Yes, you definitely need to go to Vegas. In fact, go now. I'll wait.

    Rhiannon:Thanks, and yes, you need to go too. It's such a blast. (Though I wouldn't recommend going over New Years unless you like crowds...)

  17. Oh, I love Vegas! Fabulous pics, my friend. So glad you guys had a great time. I'm on the edge of my seat for the big LV reveal. Swoon.

  18. Lisa and Laura: Aw, thanks. Post is already written, so I hope it lives up to everyones expectations. :)


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3