Friday, December 18, 2009

Vegas, Baby! Vegas!

That's right people. Right now--as you're reading this very post--I'm not home. I'm in Las Vegas!!!!!

Yes, that's right--even with how much work I still need to do on my draft, and how little time I have to do it in before the conference--I decided to take, as the lovely Brits put it, a "Minibreak Holiday" and escape with my husband to Las Vegas. Have I lost my mind?


But it came down to this: I really need a break, our annual pilgrimage to Vegas has been a tradition for the last five years so it was way too depressing to think about missing it, and, well, I did bring my laptop with me so I can get a little work done while my husband naps. So even though I know I'm probably going to regret it as soon as I get back, for the moment I'm basking in all that Las Vegas has to offer.

Why Vegas, you may wonder? (especially those of you who know that I don't gamble and neither does my husband)

Well, first of all, it's only about four hours away from where I live, which, in my opinion, is the perfect distance. Far enough that we're away from all of our responsibilities, but not so far that we can't make it into an awesome road trip. (Maybe I'm alone in this, but I adore road trips. Such an awesome opportunity to daydream about my story)

But, more importantly, Vegas is dirt cheap the weekend before Christmas. Let me put it this way: we're staying at the Paris in an upgraded room with an Eiffel Tower view and we're paying $50 a night. *Giggles* Last year we upgraded to a suite--one of the High roller suites that usually cost $1200 a night (it was SO nice--it had a TV that appeared as if from nowhere!) and do you know how much we paid? $150 a night. Yep. It's awesome.

It's also one of the only times Vegas isn't crowded, and, because Christmas is right around the corner, all the stores are running awesome sales--which s a good thing, because I have some serious shopping to do. Thanks to the Editing-Is-Stressful-Diet (and not always having time to eat) I've lost about 15 pounds over the last two months. I refuse to go to the writer's conference in clothes that are drooping in ways that aren't so cute, so I need new clothes--stat.

But I will also be making another purchase--a totally frivolous one.

I'm not sure if I've ever mentioned my handbag obsession to you guys, but yeah--it's bad. I <3 handbags. I might even <3 them more than Twitter--but that's a REALLY close call. And I especially <3 designer handbags. Specifically Louis Vuitton.

I know, I know, they're ridiculously overpriced and I feel totally guilty buying one during such a tough economy. But, if it makes you judge me any less, I've saved for it--for over a year. Every week my husband gives me $30 cash as spending money for lunch or whatever. I never spend it. (Half the time I don't even eat lunch). Instead I tuck it away in my cash stash and let it add up. Then, whenever I want something indulgent I don't have to feel guilty about buying it. But lately I haven't had time to spend it, so I counted it up about a month ago and--dang! Louis Vuitton here I come.

And there is a method to my madness. See, the reason I <3 designer handbags so much is because they make me feel more confident when I'm carrying one--like I'm someone important, because I have this beautiful, shiny, expensive thing draped over my arm. And, well, I'm going to that Writer's Conference, where I won't know anyone and it'll be the first time I've ever talked about my book with agents (OMG I'm freaking out just thinking about it) and, if there was ever a time to have a designer handbag to boost my confidence, that would be it. So I'm buying myself a new Louis Vuitton bag, one that's big enough to fit my laptop and notebook and business cards at the conference. I haven't decided which one I'm getting--there's SO many pretty ones to choose from--but I will post a picture next week (Squee!!!!!)

Okay, that's it for now. Sorry, I won't be around to comment on your posts until Monday, but I'll do my best to catch up as soon as I get back. And you'll still be able to reach me on Twitter. (I'm ALWAYS on Twitter)

I'll also take lots of pictures while I'm there--maybe even a few of me without sunglasses on (assuming I can remember to take them off)--and I promise a nice, Vegas updatey post next week.

So that's it for now. I'm off to the stores!

Have a great weekend everyone!


  1. Hope you have fun! I haven't been to Vegas yet. We're not gamblers either, but it always sounds like a great experience :)

  2. Well have a blast! Can't wait to see pics!

  3. OH Shannon! I already loved you but now, now you have taken it to a new level.... AHHHH HANDBAGS... yes, the Princess loves Handbags. Shocking? No? Ah well.

    My husband has this thing about me & purses. He just grins, shakes his head & says "okay". You see we buy loads of Bama collectors paintings, signed jerseys, etc. But then there is THE ROOM. THE ROOM is a place where I have an armoire filled with purses & the walls are covered in bookshelves.

    I don't only love to write but I also collect signed books as well as vintage/antique books. I have a Bible from 1648 - AMAZING!!!

    I bought my first Louis Vuitton 3 years ago, still love her.

    Have a blast! Enjoy the weekend away! ;o)

  4. Have fun! It really is a sight to behold.

  5. *Sigh* I LOVE Vegas. Enjoy your time there. Oh, and don't ever feel guilty over Louis Vuitton. I think there's a rule somewhere--a dispensation of sorts that exempts you from all guilt associated with expensive handbags so long as it's a Louis. Besides, you saved for it like crazy (and in such a delicious way, you sneaky), and you've totally earned it. And I say whatever you can do to boost your confidence at a scary writer's conference--do it!!

  6. Ah, Vegas. I went when I was 21. Amazing. Have a blast!

    Oh, and I just got my first Louis in October and let me tell you. I love it. A Lot. It smells good - and has tons and tons of room... (Shoes and purses are soooooooo my thing.) In our next house, I want a room JUST like Southern Princess's!!

  7. JEALOUS! Very. My sister and her husband take Vegas getaways a couple of times a year. Have a blast - and don't forget we want pictures, so the rest of us can live vicariously through you! ;-)

  8. Awww! *she stamps her foot* I wanna come.

    I hope you don't run into the guy on the end. He does look positively FREAKY. YIKES! If I had dreams (I don't, cuz I have a new mattress) but if I did, I'd be scarded to go to night night. MOMMY!

    Have fun. And take lots of pics. :) I'm unplugging next week. See you after Christmas. Merry Christmas! :)

  9. Have fun! And we do want to see lots of pictures:)

  10. Handbag obsession + Low hotel price = more money, which = more money for handbags, which = "uh oh"

  11. So um...about this loving road trips thing. Weren't you complaining just yesterday about how boring that road trip was? LOL

    Buy me a handbag too!!! I'll accept it in lieu of cookies!

    Hope you are having fun.

  12. I was in Vegas on Monday, and my husband went today. It's too close to home for vacation (for us), but I hope you have a great time! And this is a lot better time to go than New Year's Eve. My little brother always visits us so he can do New Year's in Vegas. The madness. I think he's coming the day after Christmas.

    Sorry. I think I'm rambling.

  13. Wow, it's been so long since I went to Vegas. I think I was 14 when I went there on a family trip. (So, um, 6 years, I think?)

    Anyway, have an awesome time, and have fun shopping! =)

  14. Have a BLAST and play black 22 ;) just because! Throw 5 bucks down!
    Enjoy your new purse!!!!

  15. I love Vegas too, and also don't gamble ha ha!! It's just so pretty and fun, and gosh the food... heaven!

    There's an award for you on my blog :)

  16. Hope you had an absolute blast there. Yay for suite upgrading!

  17. Okay-finally home and wading through my comments! Thanks for leaving them--you guys are awesome. we go:

    Jemi: Thanks. If you ever go to Vegas let me know, I can give you all kinds of pointers for how to do Vegas without gambling. I have the system perfected. :)

    Frankie: Aw, thanks. Let's hope the pictures aren't terrible. (I'm afraid to look-I'm not very photogenic)

    Southern Princess: Can't say I'm surprised we share a handbag obsession and I am totally jealous of your room. I gave my husband our "extra" room as his "Game Room" so my handbags live in my closet and my signed books live on bookshelves where ever I can stash them. Do you collect brands like I do? I have 4 Louis and a Gucci, a Dior, too many Coach to admit, a Burberry, several Juicy Coutures, and a few others that I can't think of at the moment. It's an expensive obsession, but I love it!

    Karen: Thanks. And yes, yes it is. :)

    Carolina: Aw, thanks. I like your Louis exemption. I'll have to remember that. And yes, I love my cash stash. It comes in SO handy.

    Juju: Wow, another thing we have in common. It's kinda strange, isn't it?

    Sara: Yay, another Louis fan. There's just something about them, isn't there? I remember a long time ago I foolishly said I couldn't understand why people would spend so much money on a purse. Then my mom gave me one and I TOTALLY understood. An obsession was born. :) (and yes, I want Southern Princess's room too!)

    Shannon: Aw, thanks. I did take pictures and I will post them (even if I look terrible in them. Please, oh please don't let me look terrible in them)

    Robyn: LOL. Aw, I'll miss you this week but have an awesome unplugged week and I'll see you when you get back!

    Melissa: Another picture request. Oh boy, let's hope they aren't a letdown.

    Voidwalker: I love your math. You echo my thoughts exactly. :)

    Marybeth: LOL. I failed to realize: I only like roadtrips when I get to DJ the music. On the way up my husband insisted on listening to his ipod, and his music does not inspire me. There were no bored tweets on the drive home because it was my ipods turn. I'll have to remember that unfortunate addendum to my road trip joy before the next one. :)

    Myrna: Yeaaaah...I would never go to Vegas on New Years. I'm not a crowd person (I'm getting claustrophobic just thinking about it.) Your brother is crazy. And you weren't rambling, but feel free to anytime. I'm a HUGE fan of rambling. ;)

    Stephanie: Aw, thanks. Wow, 6 years? You wouldn't recognize the strip anymore (City Center makes it look SO different--it's HUGE) You need to go back and see.

    Princess Aurora: Heh. Thanks, I will. I'll post pictures of it soon so everyone can see.

    Diana: Wow, more things we have in common (and yes, the FOOD. OMG, I think I gained 5 pounds back.) Thank you SO much for the award. It will take me a few days to acknowledge it, but I will definitely get around to it.

    Heather: Heh, thanks. And we did upgrade to a suite again so your Yay was definitely deserved. Just to a Junior Suite this time (only an extra $50) but it was still amazing. Jacuzzi bathtubs for the win!

    Okay, phew--I think that's everyone!

  18. Wow, what a great time to take advantage of the prices and visit Vegas. It looks like too much fun.

  19. Slamdunk: Aw, thanks. Yes, it is hands down the best time to go to Vegas (if you don't like crowds) Pictures will be up tomorrow, but um...I'm not very photogenic so bear with me. :)


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3