Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Pressure is On

Up until now, the only deadlines I've had for filling in the holes in my plot and polishing my draft were the arbitrary, end of the month kind of goals I set upon myself.

Well...not anymore.

Yesterday I registered to attend the SDSU Writer's Conference, and I paid the extra money to have three consultation appointments with agents. Which means I now have until January 29th to get my draft shiny enough that if those agents (and yes, I know this is a big "if") ask me to email them pages, I have something worthy to send.

I'll pause here while my head explodes.

Yes, January 29th is still a little over three months away--but time goes quick! And I have a lot of editing to do (and that's after I fill in those last few plot holes, some of which are gapingly huge!) So if I seem a little panicky or stressy in my posts over these next few months, I'm sorry. I don't do well with deadlines. And now I have a big one...

That being said, I think it's high time I get busy writing, don't you?


  1. Awesome, thats one of the ebst things about signing up for these conferences, it gives you deadlines and we all need to be able to work under deadlines.

  2. Frankie-You're right. It's the kick in the butt I need. But it's REALLY SCARY that I won't make it. OK, back to writing!

  3. What a great way to set a deadline!!! Congrats!

  4. Thanks Kelly. It's good motivation (and I'm really excited because I know I'll learn a lot) But MAN am I stressed.

  5. I think you'll do a great job. You have three months, so I'm sure you will do your best work. Deadlines can be an effective way to make you do your best work, and it is a good way to avoid procrastination. Good Luck!

    Also, I gave you an award on my blog. Stop by when you can to collect it.

  6. What a great way to keep yourself motivated and on task!

  7. Ugh. I hate deadlines... self-imposed or otherwise.

    Good luck with your editing!

  8. Q- Thanks. I'll need it!

    Melane- Wow, I need a healthy dose of your positive attitude! And thanks so much for the award. I feel so honored.

    Megan- Thanks Megan! Let's hope I can do it.

    La Coccinelle- I agree. I hated deadlines in school (they were the main reason I got my first ulcer). But they seem to be unavoidable.

    Heather- Thanks! You're like my own personal cheerleader! :)


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3