Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Won an Award!

Wow! Thank you so much Melane at Chasing The Dream for giving me my very first blog award.

"I'd like to thank the Academy..."

Er--wait--that's the wrong speech, isn't it?

Anyway, thank you so much for the compliment. You really made my day.

And now: The Rules
1. Copy the Kreativ Blogger picture and post it on your page
2. Thank the person who gave it to you and link back to their blog
3. Write seven things about you that we don't know
4. Choose seven other bloggers that you would like to give the award to
5. Link to the bloggers that you choose
6. Let the winners know that they have the lovely award.

Okay, so the first two are done. Here's number three...

Seven Things You Don't Know About Me
(Are you excited?)

1) When I was 18 I was on a Game Show--and lost (and no, I won't tell you the name of it. One of the other contestants has posted the video on YouTube and there's no way I'm letting you track that down.)

2) I'm extremely claustrophobic. Like--really, really bad. I had a pretty good panic attack on the metro in Rome--crying, shoving, yelling--the works. I don't do small spaces...

3) I went to USC Film School. (Wait, you probably know that.) What you don't know is that I was rejected by UCLA. Good thing I didn't want to go there anyway! *blows raspberry*

4) The first screenplay I ever wrote was about a Boy Band. Really (C'mon, I was sixteen--what do you expect?) Incidentally, my boy band's name was Mach 5. Awesome.

5) Sheesh, I'm not done yet? Okay...I hate Star Wars. (Yikes, I can hear you gasping from here.) I hadn't even seen it until six years ago when my boyfriend (now my husband) insisted that I watch what he calls "The Defining Movie Of His Life." And...I hated it. It's amazing he still married me. For more information on this, see a very old post I wrote here.

6) I went through the mother of all awkward phases in middle school. We're talking short, chubby, mousy brown hair, zits, braces--yeah...I wasn't cute. Then between Freshman and Sophomore year I hit a growth spurt, thinned down, dyed my hair, got better clothes, started wearing make-up and came back to school and no one recognized me. (Maybe someday I'll post my Freshman and Sophomore pictures as proof--but not today.)

7) And...(finally) I once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.

Okay, Okay--That's not true

7) (for realz) I was almost--accidentally--in a soft core adult film. It's a really long story--and not nearly as bad as it sounds--and a handful of you already know it (it's one of my very early blog posts from back when I had like 5 followers. If you want to know the details you can find them here.)

Phew...that was exhausting.

Okay, now the fun part. I will pass this award on to the following, amazing blogs:
(And this was really tough. I wanted to give it to everyone!)

Frankie Writes - because she cracks me up when she talks to inanimate objects
The Secret Adventures of Writer Girl - because, c'mon, she's a Super Hero.
Southern Princess - because we both went to Project Book Babe and somehow didn't meet
The Curly Q - because her comments crack me up
Word's Etc - because I always look forward to her posts
Heather Dearly - because she likes Robin Brande as much as I do
Beth Revis - because her blog makes me totally jealous

And...done. Wow, who knew winning an award was so much work?

But thank you again very much and congratulations to all the winners. I can't wait to learn seven things about all of you!


  1. Oh, stop, you're making me blush.

    I'm really not that funny. I just pretend well.

    Thank you!

  2. Yay! Congrats on your award! Loved your 7 things ... you are too funny! I'll have to check out that early post!

  3. Q- See...made me laugh again :)

    Kelly- Thank you for the compliment. If you read the other post, let me know what you think. It's one of those "Boy, I'm an idiot" kind of moments.

  4. Congrats! And oh thank you, I love that I'm getting an award for being a crazy person hehe

  5. Btw - THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You are such a doll!

    I have saved the 'award' to my blog and am working on the 7 things - you are right much harder than expected when you get down to it!

    I had a date with our early a.m. visitor last night so that post just went up, I plan to share the Blogger love this afternoon.

    By the way how we missed each other at Project Book Babe... still do not know how. I did make a purchase during the auction for a very special item so you probably just saw a blonde girl grinning from ear to ear as she shook with excitement and could barely breathe as she took the stage! lol That was such a fun afternoon with some writing royalty!

  6. Wait--you don't like Star Wars!?

    Oddly, I find that more shocking than the soft core movie.....


    Thanks for the award! And if it helps, the feeling is mutual. :)

  7. Frankie- Ha. You're not crazy! Or, at least, I hope you aren't. You don't know where I live do you? *runs screaming away* :)

    Southern Princess- Now you HAVE to tell me what you won! I thought about bidding (I had my credit card all ready to go) but I totally wimped out. *sighs*

    Beth- LOL. You Star Wars people, I don't understand you at all. :) Thanks for the compliment, you made my day!

  8. Oh wow, thank you so much Shannon! I just posted it. And I had NO idea about any of that stuff. That's crazy.

  9. Shannon - on what I won...This will be fun...here are some clues:

    It is THICK.
    It came with its own case.
    The rights were just bought to make it into a movie...(from the original author of course)
    It is a wonderful teaching tool in writing a novel....
    It stands alone.
    I signed a paper that says I can never sell it, barter it, or share it (as in copy or scan)with anyone. If I die I can will it but that person has to meet the same agreement.
    Can you guess it?

    I went wanting one of two things. Elizabeth D. of Colorado(I won't post her whole name in case someone googled her) won the first one that I wanted when it came up for bid because it is my favorite in the series. Sadly she got it. But the next one, oh the next one. Jon Lewis was toying with me as the bidding went on, but at the last moment it was mine. I cried I was so happy. lol

    It allowed me to meet an idol, meet some great people backstage, but also to share a piece of what in my book (no pun intended) is priceless.

  10. Heather- No problem. You deserve it! (And 3 awards at once...totally jealous--though they're a lot of work aren't they). And yeah, I have a lot of weirdness in my life...

    Southern Princess- Oh I know what it is! (You lucky dog!) And I almost bought it too. (How weird, we would have been bidding against each other.) I almost entered the bidding like 3 times, but I was hoping to bid on the lunch with her, which of course came up last and then proceeded to go so far out of my price range (I was maxed out at 3 grand, and even that was PUSHING it) that it didn't happen. Then I was like, darn, I could have bought The Host or Eclipse drafts. But it's cool cause now I'm spending that money (part of it anyway) on a writer's conference, which is probably a better use (in my case, since I'm really hoping to get published). And now I'm happy to know who walked away with it. So awesome! Plus I still got to meet her at the Platinum members reception. Were you Platinum or Gold?

  11. Shannon - Platinum

    Oh yeah if I am flying from Alabama to Arizona for a two day trip my husband said Buy the Platinum. lol

    Yeah I was ecstatic. It actually has all the sticky notes back and forth editor to author and how adjustments should/shouldn't be made. While I have been working on my manuscripts I found myself glancing at some of the notes. I know no editor is identical but the flow of the process is very evident with this as an example. So like you, in wanting to be published, it is in a way my current conference. lol We don't really have too many over here, even workshops can be hard press to find unless it is just college courses. So I take whatever I can get.

    The exposure just to the authors that day was awesome. I was blessed to have a lengthy conversation with one due to our processes are similar so I picked his brain as much as I could.

    I am happy you are able to attend the conference!

    Glad we weren't bidding against one another... ;o)

  12. Wow, I can't imagine how much you must learn from that. *turns green with envy*

    But yeah, I agree, meeting the writers that day was priceless. I tracked J.S. Lewis down at Comic Con this year and because I'd already met him once he gave me tons of good advice (and his email). And Frank Beddor didn't make it but I've since met him twice and he's been especially awesome because we can chat about the book babe event (he actually gave me his email too) So that alone was worth the $600, (for charity) not to mention all the signed books and meeting amazing authors.

    And yes, I'm really glad we weren't bidding against each other. That would be awkward. :-/


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3