Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Goal is in Sight!

So I went to my first book festival today and I have to say: awesome. I mean, I was tired--and still a little sick--and it was loud, and chaotic, and there were kids running around everywhere hopped up on sugar and bonking people with their balloons. But...

To see so many kids and parents and teachers excited about reading. Talking about booksbuying books, reading books, standing in line to have authors sign their books... makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.  

And may I just say: children's writers are pretty much the nicest people on the planet. No egos. No Prima Donnas. No rolling eyes when they hear that you want to be a writer too (hear that Hollywood people? Maybe you should give it a try...). Just enthusiasm and encouragement and overall friendliness.  

They sign the books with comments like, "Can't wait to see you on the Best Seller list" and "Keep Writing!" They give you good advice.  They tell you they hope you make it--and mean it. And sometimes they even offer to help (in fact, one of the writers I met today gave me his email address and said I should try writing one of his webisodes and if he likes it he'll put it on his site. Now if only I had a good idea for a webisode...)

All of which just reaffirms what I already knew: I so want to be one of them.  

Yes, they have to do readings and presentations (and I'll admit, watching them today made me more than a little nervous about my presentation skills...especially when it comes to entertaining a group of hyper kids). And no it wasn't glamorous or "cool." But this is exactly where I belong. 

I belong around people who love books and reading as much as I do. I belong around people who are nice and supportive of each other and cheer each other on. And I really hope that someday there'll be kids who care enough about my book to stand in line and have me sign it. Not because I want to make a lot of money at it (since, let's face it, other than J.K. Rowling and Stephenie Meyer this isn't exactly a big bucks industry). But because it's what I love to do. 

So even though I bought several new books today that I'm totally desperate to read, I'm going to write. One word at a time. One page at a time. Until I finally have something good enough to take me where I want to go.


  1. What a great experience! That sounds like something I would be interested in attending! Maybe,another time I could shadow you to one of these events.

    What is a webisode? Is it a shortstory, for a website?

    Sounds like a great bunch of people, these kid book writers!

  2. I will definitely let you know when I find out about another one. I bet you'd really enjoy it.

    A "webisode" is pretty much any ongoing series on a website, but in this case it's for this writer's comic book series about the Mad Hatter (which is a spin-off from his novels). So I basically have to come up with a 6 page scenario for one of Hatter's adventures and if he likes it he'll have his artist do the panels and it'll show up on his website as a mini comic book. Pretty cool. Brainstorming ideas now.

    And they really are amazing people. Never met a mean one yet (and I've met about 20 now, so that's a pretty good ratio!)

  3. Hi Shannon, thank you for the nice comment on my blog. I haven't read The Looking Glass Wars but have been hearing a lot about it, even more with the Alice Week. I will definitely read it at one point. Can't wait to read your future book. ;)

  4. Thanks Charlotte. Depending on what everyone decides (once I get to 25 followers) I may be giving away the newest book in the Looking Glass Wars series--signed by the author and everything. Just F.Y.I. And welcome! It's so nice to meet you.


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3