Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Desperate Plea...

Dear 4am,

I know we've been waking up with each other a lot lately, but I'd really like to see other times.  Sure, we've had our moments over these last few months--and I'll never forget those wonderful scenes you gave me.  But this just isn't working for me anymore.

It's not you, it's me. You deserve someone who will greet you with the eagerness and excitement you deserve--someone who'll share a cup of coffee with you and bask in the glory of your quiet darkness. And that's just not me. I don't drink coffee. I don't like the dark. And I don't go to bed until 1. So I'm sorry, but you're just too early for me.

Plus, I still have feelings for 8:30. What we had was special. What we had was perfect.  So even though he's abandoned me at the moment I'd be happy to take him back. Sometimes I even miss 9:30--my old High School fling. Sure, he didn't fit very well with my grown-up, responsible schedule, but he and I really clicked. I might be willing to find a way to make it work.

So I'm sorry 4am, but I think it's time we go our separate ways.  We can still be friends. I can still stop by and say hi sometimes, especially if I have a deadline or a plane to catch. But I can't go steady anymore. I need more sleep than that.  I hope you can understand.


  1. Oh Shannon! I know your pain. I go to bed around 11:30 and well lets just say 3:30 pops in every now and then for some love. Why? I don't know. But there are times where 3:30 allows me to sit on the edge of the bed happy to greet 7:20. I with you know that the later the hour the more tender the reception. That pesky 4 is persistent, but know its brother 3:30 does allow some space in our relationship so there is hope. ;o)
    Breaking up is hard to do....

  2. I don't know how y'all function at 4am. I'm dead to the world, a zombie under tangled covers. All I can do is put food in the cat bowl if I hear meowing, and even that's on autopilot. I'm most productive between 7 and 10pm.

    Hope you start sleeping better!

  3. Hee. I don't know why, but I love posts like this.

  4. I hope I'll never meet 4am, it would be a doomed relationship right from the start. I'm like Tere, my mind is simply not functioning so early.

  5. I'm trying to met 4am a few times but was NOT interested. Funny post :)

  6. Southern Princess: Glad to know I'm not alone in this battle. If I figure out how to break-up with 4am I'll let you know.

    Frankie-Thanks for reading. I'm glad this actually made sense (my brain isn't totally working).

    Tere-I don't function by choice. Sometimes my brain decides I will be awake and even though my body is tired, I can't silence the racing thoughts. *Sigh*

    Heather-I usually save things like this for twitter-thinking a post would be too long. Glad to know it works as a post too

    Charlotte-You do not want to meet 4am. He's like the bad boyfriend that refuses to leave.

    Diana-Thanks for the compliment. I don't understand people who wake up this early by choice!

    Thank you all for the comments. My tired brain appreciates your support!

  7. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and following me. I just love yours! Especially since I'm one of those up at 4am people too. Of course, mine is because I have to, so while you're enjoying the calm of the quiet night-time hours, (anytime post 9PM), I'm already sawing logs.

    4AM is a like a demanding child, and greeted with enough rest and caffeine, and unlimited amounts of patience, you can possibly find the love for him. or not.....

    Me? I hate going to bed early, and the old belief that as we get older we need less sleep is baloney. I used to go to bed at 11 and get up at 4 and I was fine. I swear, now I can't last past 9PM.

    My deepest sympathies to anyone with insomnia...hubby suffers terribly and it just sucks to not sleep well. I'm not good at much, but I have superior sleeping skills, but I do empathize!!


  8. Hi Kelly! It's so nice to meet you (I LOVE meeting people this way). And wow, I can't believe you get up at 4am by choice. I can't understand that.

    And I agree with you about needing more sleep as we age. When I was in college I worked 18 hour days most of the time (film school...ugh) and my motto was "Sleep is overrated." Now that I'm 27 I'd die if I did that schedule. And even though I've been having a lovely round of insomnia these last few months it doesn't mean I'm not tired. Not sleeping and not being tired are 2 very different things!

    Thanks for following! :)

  9. Oh gosh, you are too funny. BTW, I'm a Trojan. =)

  10. T. Anne-Oh that is SO awesome. Fight on! (Do you ever wish our mascot wasn't the name of a condom?) Anyway, welcome and thanks for following!

  11. LOL. That's great. I feel the same way about 1, 2 and 3 am. They like to wake me up for no reason at all. Maybe I need to write them a Dear John letter.

  12. Karen-Ah yes, I've spent time with 1,2,3 as well. But 4 is my particular buddy. It's like I can feel him calling to me..."wake up--it's time to think." I'll let you know if the dear John letter helps. :)

  13. Love this ... very funny and clever! Great blog!

  14. Kelly-Thanks for stopping by and for the compliment. It's so nice to meet you! And thanks for following!


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3