Tuesday, September 22, 2009


Still in the month of no editing and I'm faced with a dilemma. I've been very good since my relapse on the 15th--nothing but new scenes. But last night I finally figured out what was wrong with one of the key scenes in my draft.

It was one of those, "Ah Ha!" moments that always seem to happen at 2 am and leave me laying there wondering if I'll be able to remember it or if I should drag myself out of bed to scribble it down (one of the primary reasons I sleep with a note pad on my nightstand). And long afterward I was still awake wondering, "why didn't I think of that earlier?" The solution seems so obvious now.

But here's the problem.

In order to implement these brilliant, inspired changes (and they really are good) I will have to edit the scene, which I vowed not to do until I finish my rough draft.  So it seems like I should just make thorough notes and revisit it later, right?

Except these are major, fundamental changes that ripple through multiple scenes, some of which I haven't written yet. So it feels impossible to move forward and write those new scenes without knowing how the earlier scene really plays out.

So I'm torn. What do I do? Have I found a good enough excuse to break my no editing rule? Or is my brain so desperate to return to editing that I've attached undue importance to these changes to try to rationalize my bad behavior?

It's hard to say. And I don't really know what I'm going to do.

But it's time to start writing now, so I guess I'll find out soon enough...


  1. What ever you decide to do, HOLD That ThOUGHT, on paper! I'm not a writer so what do not I know about writing rules and regulations. Just don't loose that train of thought, if that is an inspiration to enhance your overall story!

    (By the way, I've left comments on your other posts. I just got a little behind in my reading)

  2. Well...I edited. I had to. And it's actually a good thing I did, cause a few things happened as the scene re-played out that I wasn't expecting, and now I can work them into the other scenes. But now, back to new stuff!

  3. Hmmm, two thoughts. You could continue writing as if the scene is already written and just keep the mental image in your mind. Or you can go back and rewrite it. Whatever you think will help you best. :)

  4. I say, edit away!!! you'll probably regret it if you dont.


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3