Saturday, September 26, 2009

So you wanna be a writer...

I'm starting to notice that most people in this world have either a) written a book, b) started writing a book, or c) are thinking about writing a book. And sadly I'm one of them. But sometimes I wish I wasn't. Why?

Because ninety percent of them are completely ridiculous.

For example, last night at a concert I got stuck talking to the very buzzed guy sitting next to me (long, rather uninteresting story involving saving seats while my husband visited with some of his friends who had chosen to brave the pit). And while he spent a large portion of the time hitting on me (despite my very obvious wedding ring), he spent the rest of the time talking about...you guessed it...his book.  Which was this horrible sounding nonfiction endeavor about...well, best I could tell...nothing. His goal was apparently to inspire 18-30 year olds to care. He just didn't seem to know what he wanted them to care about.

And as I sat there listening to him blather on (whilst scooting further away in my chair so he would stop "accidentally" brushing against my leg)  I found myself worrying, "Is this what I sound like when I talk about my book?"

I hope not.

I mean, I'm not buzzed, bald, and hitting on a married person--so that's already a few points in my favor.  Plus my book has--you know--a plot. And I'd like to think that I'm a better writer than the average drunk guy. But it's really hard to say. Because everyone and their brother wants to be a writer, thinks they can write, and thinks they have the next bestseller stored away in their brain.  And odds are they don't. So how do I know that I'm any different?

And the answer is, I don't.

But there's one way to find out.

I have to try. I have to write. I have to believe in myself and polish my draft and put myself out there.  I have to be an "unpublished" writer in order to become a "published" writer. And if that means having people look at me like I'd just told them I want to be a fairy princess when I say I'm trying to be a writer, so be it.

I'm not an annoying buzzed person at a concert and I think I have a pretty darn good story to tell. So I'm going to tell it. And we'll just have to wait and see what happens...

2 comments:

  1. Write away!

    Don't look at those unpublished wanna be drunk writers, who want to impress beautiful young women.

    Your characters are already very interesting! Looking forward patiently for your finished work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ronna! I'll keep it up. (And you know I'll gladly share as soon as I have something worth showing.)

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3