Friday, September 18, 2009

Riddle Me This...

Okay, I've noticed that none of you are commenting on my posts, so today's blog is an attempt to coax you out of your little shells and show you that it's not scary. :)

Now, you all should know by now that I'm a word nerd (I think I've sufficiently pounded that point into the ground), but you may not realize that I have another, related obsession: Riddles.

I started collecting them when I was working on my previous book (now, sadly, cast aside for my current project) where riddles played an important role in the plot. But now I have all these fun riddles sitting around not being used, and that's just not fair to them. So I thought I'd share them with you.

But here's the catch.

I'm not going to give you the answers unless you ask for them. (*evil laugh*)

So if you want to know you'll just have to comment on my blog. You can make guesses, you can ask for the solutions, or you can live your life never having these riddles solved (if you can handle that kind of suspense). The choice is up to you. Enjoy!

Riddle #1
What force and strength cannot get through
I, with a gentle touch can do
And many in the street would stand
Were I not a friend at hand.
What am I?

Riddle #2
I am the beginning of eternity
The end of time and space
The beginning of every end
And the end of every place
What am I?

Riddle #3
My first is in ocean but never in sea
My second is in wasp but never in bee
My third is in glider and also in flight
My whole is a creature that comes out at night
What am I?


  1. Hmmm you make a good point. I never really thought about commenting but I guess that's half the fun for you as the writer, getting to hear what people think of your writing. So I will try to comment for ya!

  2. Yay! It might work. No guesses on the riddles though? Isn't it killing you? :)

  3. Oh it's killing me, but I refuse to ask for help until I venture a guess and I'm stubborn. Don't worry, I'm still here on this one. :)

  4. I can offer hints if you want me to Heather. (Oh, and if it makes you feel any better, I only got one of these on my own)

  5. I LOVE riddles, but very seldom can figure them out on my own. (Sorry, about getting behind in reading and commenting. Check out the comments I have made since catching up) Riddle# 1: Mildness?

  6. I suppose Mildness kinda fits. Hint: it's an actual object, not a concept or emotion. Good try though.

  7. These riddles are killing me! Will you please give the answers soon?

  8. Okay, I'll end your suspense. Here's the answers:

    Riddle #1: A Key
    Riddle #2: The letter "e"
    Riddle #3: An owl

    It's always so obvious once you know the answer, isn't it?

  9. Oooh, the last two were clever! I especially liked the second with the letter "e." Honestly, I thought the first was water, you know, with the grand canyon and all. :)


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3