Monday, September 21, 2009

Pumpkin and Spice and Everything Nice

The signs of Fall are everywhere now. The pumpkin patch is setting up across the street. The Disney Store is filled with Halloween costumes. And while I still feel the familiar flutter in my stomach at these constant reminders of how quickly time is slipping away...I did find one bright spot on the horizon.

The Pumpkin Spice Latte is back.

Suddenly I remember why I love this time of year.

All my favorite places will soon be tempting me with pumpkin flavored delights. Pumpkin Pie ice cream. Pumpkin Smash smoothies. Pumpkin muffins. Pumpkin cupcakes. And, of course, good old fashioned pumpkin pie.

And while none of this is good for the diet (*sighs*), it's definitely good for the heart. Because it reminded me that I love Fall. I love watching the leaves change (even though Southern California sadly doesn't get the bright colors of New England). I love dusting off my jackets and boots and wearing something besides shorts and T-Shirts. I love watching the days get shorter and colder. And most of all, I love that everywhere you go smells like cinnamon and nutmeg and ginger. It's like the season wraps you up in a big, spicy blanket and tells you everything is going to be okay.

So I'm not panicking anymore about how little time I have left in the year, or how quickly the days are flying by. Because there's plenty of good things to look forward to--even after I turn 28. :)

Anyone else in the mood for pumpkin pie now?

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmm I love pumpkin pie. About a month ago we were totally craving pumpkin pie, so we went to the grocery store to buy it but they didn't have any. Then we went to the frozen section and they didn't have any there. So we ended up buying the ingredients and making one at home. Apparently they take like 2 hours to bake, then another hour to cool. Needless to say, it was torture. So Its kinda nice to finally have an abundance of pumpkin products readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. You must've REALLY wanted pumpkin pie! (I would have given up WAY before that.) But have you tried the pumpkin pie ice cream they have at this time of year? Sometimes I dream about it...and I'm not even THAT into ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely want pumpkin pie right now! And the pumpkin bread your mother bakes!!!! I love the spice scents, reminds me of cozy days, adventureous travels and a happy childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you should tell my mom to make it (she listens to you!) But not until Thursday, so we'll have it fresh on a day you're there!

    ReplyDelete

Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3