Sunday, August 30, 2009

My Muse

Every time I write I have to get in The Zone--the place where the story becomes more real than reality and the words fill up the pages almost like they're writing themselves. It's not an easy place to get to, and every writer has a different way to get there. For me, I use music.

Songs have their own mood and feel, and listening to them puts me in the same state of mind. So I have my entire music library categorized into sad songs, angry songs, tense songs, giddy songs, jealous songs--name an emotion, there's a song for it. And before I write a scene I take a minute and figure out which emotion the characters should be experiencing and then run that playlist in the background. You'd be amazed at the difference it makes.

But it goes even deeper than that. Songs also have their own personality, and which ones you like says a lot about who you are. So one of my main character development exercises is to make a playlist for each of my main characters and fill it with songs that they would listen to. It can take quite a while, and usually requires a lot of scouring the iTunes Store and googling song lyrics. But it's worth the effort. I listen to the character's playlist when I'm writing their dialogue, and it always gets them talking on their own.

The only downside of this trick is that I often have to listen to music that I personally can't stand (my music library has a number of embarrassing albums). But it's also gotten me interested in music that's way cooler than I am. In fact, most of my new favorite bands I found because I had to figure out what my two older boys (who are really cool) would like, and I knew it had to be in the Indie-Rock, Alternative, Emo scene--the kind of music I was always a little intimidated by. So I guess it's kind of a give and take situation.

But if you ever hear me blasting Miley Cyrus or the Jonas Brothers please don't judge me. It's a sacrifice for my art--a big one. And if you're ever scrolling through my iTunes and notice that most of my playlists are named after people that don't exist, don't worry--there is a method to my madness. You may not understand it...but trust me, it works.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon!

    Just found your blog - you crack me up! I do this exact same thing. Don't know what I'd do without Pandora. And congratulations on signing with an agent!


Yay-I love comments! Thank you so much! (But please remember to keep your comments spoiler-free. Also, I try to keep this a happy, positive place. Friendly debate is fine, but always be kind to each other). <3